• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie - My Story

Hi
On the 18th June 2013 I was admitted to my local hospital with chronic stomach pains. Over a period of 7 days I was diagnosed with various conditions including kidney stones, adhesions from previous appendicectomy,crohns, meckles diverticulitis and gastroenteritis.
Finally I was told that I was going to have keyhole surgery performed to determine wether it was meckles or crohns.
On the 26th June I underwent surgery and a terminal ileal mass was dissected from the pelvis and an abscess was removed from the pelvic side wall (this is what is stated on my discharge summary) My surgeon told me that I had about 6 inches of my small bowel removed because it was infected with crohns nothing was mentioned about an abscess ?
I am now at home recovering and am awaiting an appointment to see a gastroenterologist.
Since my discharge from hospital on 2nd July I have had no support or information about crohns disease other than what I have looked up on the internet.
I am keeping a diary regarding my diet and how my bowels are performing which I must say is pretty much the same every day, more watery as the day goes on ?
I was told by the dietician on discharge to eat lots of dairy products such as full fat milk,cheese etc to put my weight back on, of which I had lost just over a stone. But I read on the internet not to eat these ? I have managed to gain about 5 pounds in weight at the moment and have stopped the full fat foods.
I am really confused about my diet and condition and im really not sure what to do next other than wait to see the gastroenterologist.
I am currently on no medication
Any advice or support on my condition would be extremely helpful

Thank you Del

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum but sorry to hear that you have been so sick. When is your appointment with the gastro? I think keeping a food diary and noting down all your symptoms is a really good idea as the dr will ask you all about that.
As for diet it can be different for each person some can tolerate dairy and others can't, how have you found it? The diary you are keeping will help you find out what foods may make the D worse and then you can make a decision about cutting it out of your diet. Some people when they achieve remission find they can go back to eating anything they want but others (like me) still have to avoid certain foods.
Feel free to ask any questions and look around on this site as there is lots of really helpful information.

Hi Kayleigh
I'm am waiting to hear from the Gastro but hopefully will get an appointment soon, thank you for your reply :)