• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie - Seeing Naturopath today

Hi! So glad I found you guys.

I am seeing a Naturopath today and the reason why is because I want someone to look at me as a whole person - not just treat my Crohn's and because I'm fed up with trying the conventional meds with no long term results.

I was diagnosed in 1991 at 18 years old with Ileocolitis Crohn's. Since then, I've been on Prednisone most of my life - off and on. I've had 6 colonoscopies and 5 Gastroenterologists.

Meds I've tried: Purenithol/6-MP, resulting in severe pancreatitis (twice) with hospitalization, Azulfadine, Mesalamine, Bactrim (which I'm now allergic to for some reason), Flagyl, Cipro, Immodium, Tylenol, supplements and tons of Prednisone. Currently, I'm just treating symptoms with Immodium.

Last year, I saw a Gastro who ran many tests including one that I like to call the Crystal Ball test, which resulted in telling us that I will continue to have Crohn's problems. (No Kidding!) He wanted me to go on Humira and I was really scared off by the side effects, cost, possibility that it wouldn't help my symptoms at all and method of administration (shots), so I decided against it.

This week, my joints and body are really aching and I'm seeing blood and mucous, so off to the doctor I go. Usually, I see my primary care doc and then go on a 10-day course of Prednisone, which helps, but sometimes as soon as it's over, I flare again.

I'm on a low-carb diet because I'm about 40 lbs. overweight (partially due to Prednisone). Due to my current flare, I don't know what to eat.

Any suggestions and advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Two of the more popular diets followed on the sight are the SCD and paleo diets. Both are lower carb ways of eating. Followers have mixed results with helping their IBD, along with differences concerning loss and sometimes weight gain (Personally, I gained much needed lean weight on a paleo diet, but that is likely due to joining a gym after starting the diet.).

More about the two diets can be read @ in the diet section of the forum:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=288

Another diet program you might look into is Dr. Hunters. He reportedly is having good success in treating Crohn's patients with dietary ideas. His program is more involving than the other mentioned diets. Often times help from health care providers is needed.

Dr. Hunter's web sight can be seen at:

http://crohns.org.uk/

Here is a newspaper article explaining his program.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1076594/How-tackle-Crohns-Disease-help-drugs.html

He also has a couple books for sale on Amazon. I've read one and thought it a good read.

Good luck with the appointment!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello and welcome to the forum :). Im glad you've found us.

I understand that the prospect of using Humira is really daunting because it has so many potential side effects and you have to inject yourself, but many people see it as better than being stuck with the symptoms or facing surgery, and people get used to injecting themselves after a while. There is a treatment forum here with a support group for people who are taking, or may have to take humira. You might find that useful.

Although the prednisolone may be helping short term, its better to find something that will help you longer term too. What is your current GI like? I hope he's supportive and gives you the care he deserves.

You might already know this but a lot of people find that heat can be really helpful for the pain, hot baths, hot water bottles and heat pads all really help people here.

Im sorry I cant give much more help as I'm still fairly new to this, just wanted to welcome you :). Hopefully another member with a little more experience will be around soon to give you a helping hand.

Hi Shadow,

I'm a firm believer that with Crohns we should use to coin a phrase a 'shotgun approach'. This involves not using just one thing (e.g. meds) to control the disease but a combination of different treatments. But the important thing to remember is everyone is different and will respond to treatments differently weather they be medical, surgical or natural.

While some people have found paelo and SCD diets helpful that may not be the case for you. As such I would strongly recommend making sure you are receiving some kind of medical therapy for your Crohns as a back up.

Also alot of the diets for Crohns are a huge learning curve and adaptation for most patients to make. As such I still have a little gluten and dare I say it alcohol in my diet because they are things I enjoy and with a disease such as this I think why deprive yourself of what you enjoy when you may not be healthy for prolonged periods.

A lot of Crohns meds sound scary but bare in mind the tiniest percentages of people suffer the worst side effects other wise they wouldn't be used by hospitals and GI's.

My current regimen involves plenty of fresh veg and lean white meat such as chicken. I mostly drink water during the day but indulge in 1 cafinated drink a day. To help combat stress I have up to an hours guitar practice a night and get as much exercise as possible including taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator. I then take my azathioprine to help control my Crohns. I avoid cigarette and marijuana smoking like the plague and I will only drink alcohol once a week, maybe twice on a special occasion.

I find this works for me and with the right support I know you will find something that works for you. I hope you feel better soon. :)