• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie to crohns

Hi,
recently I've been diagnosed with crohns, I collapsed at work with rigors and a high temp.

Think I might have scared a few colleagues despite them being experienced health care professionals !

After several diagnostic procedures , crohns was the diagnosis.

High dosage of prednisolone following antibiotics was the initial course of treatment.

I've finished the steroids and now on 100 mgs of azathioprine daily

I've previously had uveitis , occular shingles, bilateral knee dysplasia , sciatica and restless legs syndrome

Apart from that I'm as fit as a butchers dog !

I've had to have a sickness interview for being off work since being admitted to hospital end of July and now have an appointment with occupational health

Is there any fellow crohns sufferers who are healthcare professionals taking azathioprine , whilst at work, how do you cope and how does it affect your ability to do your work at all ?

Also, how have your employers been ?

Thanks in advance, Steve

David

Co-Founder
Hi Steve and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of your new diagnosis :(

First off, I suggest you check out our azathioprine subforum located here. I think you might better connect with others on it there.

Anytime someone with Crohn's disease suffers from restless leg syndrome, the first thing I think of is magnesium deficiency. Magnesium deficiency is VERY common in people with Crohn's and one of the manifestations can be RLS. We have a wiki entry here you may want to read and discuss it with your doctor if you think it may fit.

All my best to you.