• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie to this.

Hello.

I was just diagnosed with CD yesterday. This all started about 5 years ago. I just brushed it off as nerves and bad food. I work offshore and have to eat what is there. Symptoms slowly got worse up until November "2014" when I had to have my gallbladder removed on the spot. I have not felt right since. I went back offshore but the last time I had to be flown in due to pain and blood, " crohnies know what I mean", and seen my GI doctor.

I have had test preformed all week, and finally got the news I have crohn's, yesterday. I have been loaded down with taking 11 pills a day and if the pentasa does not work within the next month, my doc is going to put me straight on Humira. I received all this over the phone without a consultation.

So now im kicking myself in the head trying to figure out how to go on with this disease and provide for my family at the same time. The problem with this is by working offshore, I cant get back to land on the drop of a dime when ever my guts decide to act up. Also you have to be 100% to work offshore with my company due to if you fly in because of sickness that was known, the oil company wants to charge the 3rd party company the helicopter flight. There is nothing in the small town where I live to do, as far as work, and make the kind of money to be made working offshore.

Has anyone out there had the first onset of problems fixed with meds just to have them return as soon as they get off of the steroids?

Welcome -- and I love your screen name! LOL

My situation is a little different from yours, but this board is a great place to get support and advice about this kind of thing. In my experience, there was definitely an adjustment period while finding out what meds would work best. Steroids are a great way to get instant relief while trying out the stronger long-term meds -- like Humira which takes some time to kick in.

My advice would be to stock up on Ensure and take it with you offshore in case you get a flare while you are out there.

Keep us posted on how it goes.