• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie trying to cope

I'm a middle aged woman who was in pretty good shape until two years ago. I almost died of massive pulmonary embolisms, spent 5 days in ICU and had a blood transfusion a day. After three weeks of tests in hospital, I was told I have Crohn's. I didn't even know what that was. I was sent home with a long list of prescriptions. Three weeks later I was back in the hospital. I was in a full flare. I had all kinds of tests. They said the insides of my intestines were covered in abscesses, so I was not getting much nutrition. I had a horseshoe abscess around my rectum, that got so painful that I could not sit. I had fistulas that they said looked like a bowl of spaghetti, and that they could not operate on those. I was on warfarin, so they did not want to do surgery on the abscess. I was on iv antibiotics four times a day, prednisone, Flagyl, aminosalicylate, azathioprine, calcium, iron, vitamins C B12, D and zinc, codeine and morphine for the pain. After a month, the abscess burst and I had two holes the size of a quarter and two holes the size of the end of a pen around my rectum. All the while having diarrhea about a dozen times a day, vomiting, pain. They took me off warfarin long enough to have surgery to clean the abscess. I was told I could die of a blood clot, but that it needed to be done. After that, I could sit again.
I was sent to a long term care hospital, they would not let me go home until those holes healed up. Altogether I was in the hospital for five months, and then at home for four months, before I was well enough to go back to work. I was so thin by then that my ribs were showing. I got peripheral neuropathy from the Flagyl, so I was switched to Ciproflox. My gastroenterologist wants to put me on infliximab, but I'm too afraid to. Most of my fistulas are healed up now, but I now think I have a rectovaginal fistula. I'm trying not to panic about that yet. I have an MRI booked in April. I've stopped telling people what I have, because nobody seems to understand how horrible this disease can be. I've been told to just go to work in diapers, as if that would solve my problems. I have no stamina, and suffer from fatigue. It's so frustrating, because I've had to give up many of the things I used to do. I'm on a low fiber low fat diet. Is there anything I can do for this fatigue? Sorry this is so long.

Tuff,

Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear what you have been through. i hope we can give you the support you need and you can find lots of good information.

It sounds like you are doing all that you can to take care of yourself.

Keep us informed of how you are doing. Maybe someone else can add an idea or two to give you more energy.

hugs to you

Thank you for your welcome. The information here has been invaluable. I think stress is part of my problem now, I have a stressful job in the newspaper business. I've just given them notice, and I'm leaving at the end of March. I need to find something else part time, that isn't causing me so much stress.

sounds like an interesting job. Would they let you work part time at home on your computer? I know the job market is pretty tough out there right now. If you are from the U.s. insurance is so important, just for the medications.

wishing you the best

Hi all ,new to this ,Im a 59 year old woman {tomorrow } who was diagnosed with crohns in Dec., cant get control , not sure what to eat , and the fatigue is overwhelming.Tuff , I really feel for you ,you have all ready been through so much.I wish I knew how to avoid stress. But after spending 8 days in the hospital ,with insurance ,I am a nervous wreck.Thanks to everyone for all the valuable information. Hugs

Sharon,
welcome to the forum too. I am sorry you as well are having so much difficulty. This disease is horrible.

are you still on Prednisone? That is one that is often used to get in under control. there are others mentioned like Entocort which does not have the extreme side effects.

I hope you can get feeling better soon.
glad you found this forum. It is has been a blessing to me with our daughter, age 14 diagnosed last year.

Hi Julie , Ive tried Endicort and Prednisone ,right now Im taking sulfasalazine and cholestyramine .Trying to drift along until may 1 ,when my disability medicare kicks in , then they want to redo all the tests ,Im in pain ,have horrible gas , spend all my time in the bathroom , joints ache ,headaches , and I have mouth sores , and NO energy. Sound like any one else ? I was n a car accident and had to wait a year and a half for neck surgery. After I had the surgery is when these symptoms started.Has any one ever heard of crohns being related to being on pain meds for a long time ? Or stress ? Thanks to all . did each of you have to try by trail and error as to what you can eat ? thanks again .

Sharon,
It seems the more i learn about Crohns,the more I realize how little we really know. (if that makes sense)

I know mouth sores are something they always look for in our daughters mouth, but I would also wonder if it is an allergic reaction to something you are taking.

It certainly seems like you are in a bad flare right now.

It does seem that something usually triggers the IBD, a virus, infection or trauma, and then the body cannot fight off bacteria correctly. I know it is far more complicated than that, but that is my definition in a nut shell.

Food is a huge topic. I know seeds such as popcorn are a big no-no because the husks can get caught in the inflammation and cause more problems. A lot of people cannot have spicy foods. Usually in a full flare, it is best to stay with a bland, low fiber, low residue diet. Make sure you get plenty of water with meds, and watch to make sure you are getting enough protein and a well balanced diet if possible.
We have also removed lactose from out daughters diet.
anything acidic, including coffee and black tea can be hard on the stomach. No carbonated drinks, no gum (both can cause gas) No beans (sorry) and no broccolli, celery or any foods with a lot of pulp. No greasy foods. These are just guidelines that help during a flare.

hope you get feeling better soon

Hi Julie,
Unfortunately I can't work from home. That would be the ideal solution for me though.
I'm in Canada, so I just have to pay for my meds. No insurance.

:ack:
I'm a middle aged woman who was in pretty good shape until two years ago. I almost died of massive pulmonary embolisms, spent 5 days in ICU and had a blood transfusion a day. After three weeks of tests in hospital, I was told I have Crohn's. I didn't even know what that was. I was sent home with a long list of prescriptions. Three weeks later I was back in the hospital. I was in a full flare. I had all kinds of tests. They said the insides of my intestines were covered in abscesses, so I was not getting much nutrition. I had a horseshoe abscess around my rectum, that got so painful that I could not sit. I had fistulas that they said looked like a bowl of spaghetti, and that they could not operate on those. I was on warfarin, so they did not want to do surgery on the abscess. I was on iv antibiotics four times a day, prednisone, Flagyl, aminosalicylate, azathioprine, calcium, iron, vitamins C B12, D and zinc, codeine and morphine for the pain. After a month, the abscess burst and I had two holes the size of a quarter and two holes the size of the end of a pen around my rectum. All the while having diarrhea about a dozen times a day, vomiting, pain. They took me off warfarin long enough to have surgery to clean the abscess. I was told I could die of a blood clot, but that it needed to be done. After that, I could sit again.
I was sent to a long term care hospital, they would not let me go home until those holes healed up. Altogether I was in the hospital for five months, and then at home for four months, before I was well enough to go back to work. I was so thin by then that my ribs were showing. I got peripheral neuropathy from the Flagyl, so I was switched to Ciproflox. My gastroenterologist wants to put me on infliximab, but I'm too afraid to. Most of my fistulas are healed up now, but I now think I have a rectovaginal fistula. I'm trying not to panic about that yet. I have an MRI booked in April. I've stopped telling people what I have, because nobody seems to understand how horrible this disease can be. I've been told to just go to work in diapers, as if that would solve my problems. I have no stamina, and suffer from fatigue. It's so frustrating, because I've had to give up many of the things I used to do. I'm on a low fiber low fat diet. Is there anything I can do for this fatigue? Sorry this is so long.

Tuff,
Good lord, you are going thru so much. I really feel bad for you! I hope you get to feeling better and glad you found this forum. Unless you have this disease, it's difficult to understand all the physical and emotional pain. Hang in there!

Thanks Misty. You're new here too? Welcome to the club. My post wasn't meant as a whine, just my back story.
I'm thinking maybe the fatigue is caused by my meds. I'm on 4g Pentasa, 1g Cipro and 100 mg Imuran a day. My bloodwork is good. Isn't that Pentasa a little high? I seem to react hard to all my meds anyway. Prednisone made me look like a chipmunk, and half my hair fell out. Then it grew back in wavy and thick.

Thanks Tuff for the welcome. I am not sure about the Pentasa, I take 1000 mg of canasa which seems high, but not really sure. I wish my doc would put me on cipro instead of flagyl, hate that neuropathy feeling in my fingers. Hope you don't have a rectovaginal fistula, kind of a nightmare all in its self. You may want to consider Remicade, it may help close it! I could only handle 2 infusions before I had a reaction to it, no more for me! Try to get rest and don't worry!:)

If you have any kind of tingling, you have to tell your doctor. Get a second opinion. Mine started as a numbness to my toes, and now it's half way up to my knees. My fingers were so bad at first, I couldn't open a tube of toothpaste. My fingers are better now, but my feet have been numb and tingly for way too long. There is no cure, they give you pills to try to alleviate the symptoms, which I can't take. Hopefully time will heal the damaged nerves.