• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie!

Hi! I'm new here. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 2 months ago after what I now know to be a massive flare up! I'd been having 'tummy troubles' for about 5 years, ever since I gave birth to my son, but I was told it was 'gastric dumping syndrome'. It was horrendous, some mornings I would wake up on the toilet and the stomach pains would come on at the most inconvenient times!
I was admitted to the hospital with Appendicitis, on opening me up they discovered a pristine appendix and a very angry ileum. It was a lot to take in but the relief I felt at finally knowing what was wrong with me was unbelievable. I've been on steroids ever since, I'm now down to 1 a day, and I've been put on a low residue diet. I'm due to have a colonoscopy next month.
I had been dealing with it ok...until a friend asked me how I was at the school gates last week, I sobbed. I understand that it's difficult for my friends to understand, I didn't understand it, I still don't, but some people have been so unbelievably insensitive. This particular friend suggested that I join a forum, she thought it would be good for me, and maybe even my husband. So here I am!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.
Sorry you've joined the "club".

It takes time to adjust. I'm not talking about a week or two; it will be longer. If it takes a year that's totally fine. There is actually a grieving process we all go through. Be kind to yourself.

Support is important along with education. Knowledge is power.

Sending you my support.

:welcome: Hello and welcome to the forum.
We've all had our share of insensitive comments. I no longer talk about my illness to anyone. They just don't get it.
You will be on an emotional roller coaster for a while. You may experience denial, anger, fear, grief and finally acceptance. It's a lot to take in at first. Hang in there, it gets better.

Welcome to the club.From my experience getting friends to understand your disease is pretty much impossible I've dealt with crohn's since I was 12 the group I hung out with through high school and a few years after never understood or tried to.i remember in late 2005 early 2006 I had 3 major surgeries after my J-pouch burst the day I got out of the hospital my "friends" wanted to go out drinking(I don't drink and still had my central line in to take various antibiotics over the course of the next few weeks),they told me the bar has a bathroom and I need to get my priorities straight...hopefully their in prison now.

Hi! I'm new here. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 2 months ago after what I now know to be a massive flare up! I'd been having 'tummy troubles' for about 5 years, ever since I gave birth to my son, but I was told it was 'gastric dumping syndrome'. It was horrendous, some mornings I would wake up on the toilet and the stomach pains would come on at the most inconvenient times!
I was admitted to the hospital with Appendicitis, on opening me up they discovered a pristine appendix and a very angry ileum. It was a lot to take in but the relief I felt at finally knowing what was wrong with me was unbelievable. I've been on steroids ever since, I'm now down to 1 a day, and I've been put on a low residue diet. I'm due to have a colonoscopy next month.
I had been dealing with it ok...until a friend asked me how I was at the school gates last week, I sobbed. I understand that it's difficult for my friends to understand, I didn't understand it, I still don't, but some people have been so unbelievably insensitive. This particular friend suggested that I join a forum, she thought it would be good for me, and maybe even my husband. So here I am!
I was exactly the same, after 2 years of stomach pains, last month it got to the most severe pain. Also went into hospital and surgery as appendicitis though discovered more, and had inflammation on small bowel. I have dealt with it but have rainy days where I am emotional and angry. It's difficult to talk to friends and family exactly how I feel as it isn't happening to them, so would be nice to talk to others in the same situation :)

I was exactly the same, after 2 years of stomach pains, last month it got to the most severe pain. Also went into hospital and surgery as appendicitis though discovered more, and had inflammation on small bowel. I have dealt with it but have rainy days where I am emotional and angry. It's difficult to talk to friends and family exactly how I feel as it isn't happening to them, so would be nice to talk to others in the same situation :)
I get incredibly angry sometimes, days when I want to know why it happened to me and then other days when I am determined to kick Crohn's arse!! The tiredness gets to me too, but at least I understand now that I'm not just being lazy! It would really help to talk to other people in the same situation :thumright:

Hi margaring, and welcome , I'm a newbie too , only diagnosed in December , and like you struggling with taking it all in. The physical side effects are bad , but the emotional are worse. I have a recto vaginal fistula which I cannot get my head round or accept .have spent lots of time in hospital and tried lots of drugs .im sure things will get better for me and you but it's a scary , bumpy ride so far . ( by the way Im just up the road , in bury st Edmunds )this site has been invaluable so far . Keep pedalling , and stay strong x