• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed and don't know whether to be scared or not..LOL

I was diagnosed three months ago, after having the "d" for quite sometime. I was treated for bacterial infection in my stomach. That didn't stop it. I was treated for parasite. That didn't stop it. My GP sent me to a gastro and I had a colonoscopy. It showed ulcerations in the ileum (sp?). Blood test run to see if it was Crohns. Yes, it is. I have looked on sites everywhere to figure out what foods to eat to prevent flare ups. From what I can tell, you cannot prevent a flare up..only reduce the symptoms? I DO know that fried eggs are NOT my friend. I'm still trying to figure out what other foods I personally need to avoid. Today, I have a "stitch" kind of feeling in my top left side, right under my rib..and my stomach feels like I have a warm fire burning in it. Oh what fun! Anyway, I look forward to looking around here and maybe getting some idea of what I might be in for, in a mild case...since that is what I'm telling myself I have..now that I am working through denial..:wink: One question I have is, I had a colonoscopy..did y'all have any other followup testing? Or was the colonscopy the usual method and it gives the GI dr the view he needs of all of the intestine.

Oh..I forgot to add, I am taking Asacol and it has reduced the trips to the bathroom, until today, thanx to the eggs.. :) I was prescribed Prilosec...but it gave me a horrible headache...so doctor took me off of it.

Do y'all take anti diarrhea meds?

Hi Tammy and welcome.
Great that you have found us. Please free to look around. There are many here whom share similar experiences.
The colonoscoy is usually the determining factor, but there could also be blood work like CRP, sed rate, cal-protectin to help determine inflammation levels ( not always, some may be in a flare and inflammatory markers are normal).
Some doctors test using MRI/MRE or CT scan with and without contrast. The second may show strictures, obstructions, fitulas or abscesses in areas the scope may not have been able to fit threw.
I will post a link to compiled lists of food that do/don't " work" for others on here. As we are all individuals, it may not totally fit you, but could be a good guide.
Is there any other meds you are on?
I would speak to the dr. About your meds as Asacol may be a temporary fix for CD, it works well for ulerative colitis as it is the top layer of mucosa in the intestine. CD goes deeper than the top layer, so this may not always work well- but if it is currently working for you- great! I would suggest monitoring symptoms and keeping a diary.
If you have a phone or tablet some good helpful apps are 1. Docs diet diary and 2. Gi monitor. This helps you identify foods that trigger or not and the second app covers questions for the doc, food intake, pain level, stress level, bm's- frequency, consistency, blood, etc... and medication use.
Hope this helps. Best of luck to you! -hugs-

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

When are you next due to see your doc? I would keep an eye on symptoms and start keeping a food diary to see what else sets things off, common things to avoid usually are foods with pips and seeds as these can aggrivate the bowel, many folks here also tend to have issues with caffeine. With regards to flare ups they can sometimes come from out of the blue, the key is to learn as much as you can about the disease and listen to your body so you can try and catch any problems early. From what I have seen here anti dirrhoea meds like Imodium are not advised and so if even on the Asacol you are still getting dirrhoea let your doc know as this might not be the right med for your tum, also if I recall correctly this is more geared towards treating Ulcerative Colitis rather than Crohn's.....

Please keep us updated on how you are getting on.

AB
xx

Hi Tammy and welcome.
Great that you have found us. Please free to look around. There are many here whom share similar experiences.
The colonoscoy is usually the determining factor, but there could also be blood work like CRP, sed rate, cal-protectin to help determine inflammation levels ( not always, some may be in a flare and inflammatory markers are normal).
Some doctors test using MRI/MRE or CT scan with and without contrast. The second may show strictures, obstructions, fitulas or abscesses in areas the scope may not have been able to fit threw.
I will post a link to compiled lists of food that do/don't " work" for others on here. As we are all individuals, it may not totally fit you, but could be a good guide.
Is there any other meds you are on?
I would speak to the dr. About your meds as Asacol may be a temporary fix for CD, it works well for ulerative colitis as it is the top layer of mucosa in the intestine. CD goes deeper than the top layer, so this may not always work well- but if it is currently working for you- great! I would suggest monitoring symptoms and keeping a diary.
If you have a phone or tablet some good helpful apps are 1. Docs diet diary and 2. Gi monitor. This helps you identify foods that trigger or not and the second app covers questions for the doc, food intake, pain level, stress level, bm's- frequency, consistency, blood, etc... and medication use.
Hope this helps. Best of luck to you! -hugs-
Thank you for responding...and I go back to see my GI on the 14th. I will definitely discuss the Asacol as a temporary fix. I would really appreciate the list that you sd you have for foods that tend to cause issues..and I know that not all will have the same affect..but appreciate any assistance I can get..As far as the Asacol, it seemed to be helping a lot.. meaning less trips to the bathroom...until recently...I just figured this was what a "flare up" was..that I would have good days on the meds and bad days..

I'll definitely get those apps..and THANK YOU!!! I just downloaded and they look so easy to use..and helpful!

AngryBird - thank you for the information. I think I will be better equiped to ask questions at my next visit. I'm feeling pretty nauseous today..and wish I had prepared something not too overwhelming for lunch. I want rice, or something plain and bland..that just sound wonderful right now! Unfortunately, I am at work..and only fast food around me..so will just stay hungry until I get home and can have some corn flakes with almond milk..or something like that..:)

Thank you so much! While I am not feeling so well..and hurting, I'll try to only eat the FOR SURE safe ones..and try the others on different lists, once I am feeling a little better..