• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Diagnosed And Upset

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I was diagnosed a few days ago, December 8th. I did a lot of research and reading before deciding to post this.

Where to start... I'll start off with how pissed I am about how elusive this thing is. There are absolutely no definitive answers. Just studies, theories and tons of variables. None of us can get closure and that's what really upsets me.

Now that the negativity is out of the way, my first symptoms were in November of 2012. The pain was unbearable so I went to the ER about two weeks after the symptoms came on. I tried to tough it out as I thought time would do its part. Because this was my first trip to hospital since 2002, the doctors suspected a simple parasite or food bug if you will. So they prescribed me cipro and flagyl. I took it for 10 days then I was absolutely fine. Life resumed.

Then the same symptoms in September of 2013 but not as bad as 2012. I thought to myself, mother F I have another parasite from eating something bad. So I went to a nearby clinic and didn't even do a check up (bad decision). I just requested a subscription for cipro and flagyl because it worked the prior year. So I took that for 10 days then I was absolutely fine again. Life resumed.

Fast forward to the end of October of this year, I started having symptoms but very mild (symptoms every fall season). My stools were loose but I could see blood, minimal cramps and pain. So I automatically assumed omg AGAIN?! But one night I drank and did cocaine (being honest) with friends. The next morning I was a wreck. And the symptoms were strong and hit me hard. I, stupidly, waited a few days to see if it would pass. It did not. Then I went to the same clinic to request a prescription for cipro and flagyl. I was in good spirits, thinking I'd be okay in 10 days. But this time around it didn't work and the pain and blood kept getting stronger. So I decided to visit the ER. They did the basic procedures and they suggested a colonoscopy. I was reluctant but once my stubbornness took a back seat I agreed and we proceeded. It was performed on November 14th. I've been fine since. No symptoms. Still somewhat weak and fatigued but I blame the weight-loss from the symptoms.

December 8th, the GI doc called me and gave me the news. He said the pathologist suggested a 95% chance it's Crohn's, according to the biopsy. I asked him a ton of questions - how, why, cause, etc. He prescribed me Lialda/mesalamine. He said I would have to be on this medication for 6-8 months, multiple times a day. I automatically dismissed what he said because the notion just didn't strike well with me. He did say it was a mild case and very treatable at the moment, good sign. He referred me to an in network GI doctor as he's out of network. So I'm seeing another GI doctor in 10 days to gain a second opinion. I want to be absolutely sure before I start taking medication.

I've been active since I was a kid. Gym, basketball, tennis. The activity level dipped over the past two years now that I'm 28 - more work, less time, more stress, etc. However I started smoking cigarettes and drinking at 15, pot at 16, cocaine at 19. The most consistent of the four are cigarettes and alcohol. So I blame myself for this development. It is what it is now, no need to dwell on the past. Now, my biggest hurdle is to quit smoking and drastically reduce drinking. Before I rely on medication, I want to eliminate cigarettes and reduce alcohol to once every two months and see how/if it improves the symptoms. If it does not then I'll proceed with the meds.

That's my story! Thanks for reading. Heads high people =)

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

It takes time to wrap your head around this disease. I do know smoking can make crohn's worse. I applaud you for making lifestyle changes in an effort to get control of things.

As you say "head up."

I know how you feel. Look up some of the dietary things, my worst flare was caused by popcorn and then surgeries. I smoke the new ecigs, I don't drink and I am 54 now, I was 46 when diagnosed. My third surgery which was the third one in one year (2013) I had to have an ileostomy bag until hopefully January 2015 to get reversed. My Crohn's was a 15inch flare in my small intestines. Gentlelax I live by now - no more backups in my intestines - keeps everything flowing properly.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will explore dietary options and supplements.

Is it true that Crohn's patients will more than likely need surgery regardless of when?

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome Heatles

Glad you opened up.Many of us use diet to fight this disease.Everything we put in to our bodies is part of our diet.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Thanks for the feedback.

I will explore dietary options and supplements.

Is it true that Crohn's patients will more than likely need surgery regardless of when?
With the new drugs available to treat CD, I'm not sure what the % requiring surgery is anymore.