• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed crohns

24 years ago I had a misdiagnosed appendix where the poison spread to my small intestine and ate 8 inches. I've been in and out of the hospital and numerous tests and visits to GIs. I finally found a GI who decided to start from scratch. There was a positive marker for crowns but the most impt. Test I needed was the small bowel capsule. I ended up in hospital after throwing up for 28 hours with a fill bowel obstruction. Luckily they did the test and I get my answers tomorrow. As crazy as it sounds, I'm praying it's crohns because I need an answer. The GI thinks my misdiagnosis originally may have been a misdiagnosis and always was crohns. I was hoping anyone could tell me what mess have worked and what overall to expect.

I hope you get a diagnosis. Meds and treatment vary due to what the diagnosis is, where the disease is located and the severity. Unfortunately it's a complex disease to both diagnose and treat. My best advice is tell your dr all you symptoms and if a treatment is or is not working. If your dr doesn't listen, get a new one. Figure out what foods cause your symptoms to worsen and avoid them...this too is different for everyone and you will need to learn through trial and error. There are some threads on here that talk about common foods that cause issues. Take your prescription meds and dont stop without partnering with your doctor. Usually meds are started to try to get you into remission. Many of us are on maintenance drugs to keep symptoms under control.

My GI had me drinking nutritional shakes (Boost or Ensure) to gain some weight back. I had lost so much weight they were going to put me on a feeding tube if I couldn't gain it on my own. He has told me I will be on meds for the rest of my life. I missed my pills once and right away started flaring. Entocort has helped me get my flare under control 3 times now. I am in remission, but not symptom free. My blood work is normal, I have a colonoscopy in a few weeks to see what the inflammation looks like. Some people have achieved remission, been totally pain and symptom free, and even been taken off all medication. It really differs from person to person.

Hang in there! Keep us posted. Sending you some HUGS.