• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Diagnosed/Doctor said I was an "odd bird"

Hello. I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's after never having a health problem before in my life. I literally went one day from being "normal" to the next day having crippling upper abdominal pain. This persisted on and off for three months with no other Crohn's symptoms. I finally went to the ER after being told repeatedly that I had gastritis and was sent to have an endoscopy the next day. Endoscopy suggested Crohn's. That was over a month ago and I was put on Pentasa, 2000 mg a day. Just had a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago and it also suggested Crohn's. I have been on Pentasa for almost two months now with no pain. To this day my only symptom has been upper abdominal pain and that hasn't happened in over a month. 1) Does this sound like Crohn's to anyone else? 2) My doctor is discussing Imuran and Entocort. I have no pain. I just don't see the necessity. Am I crazy? :sign0085:

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi and welcome.

If 2 weeks ago, your GI saw signs of CD during your colonoscopy, it means Pentasa is not working entirely. Or, is it too soon to say its not working entirely? Are you going to have a fallow up colonoscopy before deciding if Imuran and Entocort should be added?
What is important in CD is to acheive remission for both the symptoms you feel (clinical symptoms) and those inside you may not always feel seen in scopes (endoscopic findings).

I was excreting blood and it still took 5 colo's to figure out I had crohn's in the sigmoid colon but recently I've been having upper abdominal pains, feels like my small intestines are like rocks. I don't know if this helps. But sometimes it takes them forever it seems to get you diagnosed and properly treated. Or in my case improperly. They finally diagnosed me and prescribed me Asacol, Unfortunately my Pancreas had issues with that and almost put me 6 foot under. I hope and pray that you get your answers and get healed.

I forgot to mention. I didn't have any pain either... Just anxiety and panic. I never could understand where that was coming from it felt like I was having problems with my heart I would alway pass all the tests for that. Besides the blood in the stool I never felt any kind of pain for years. Not untill about 10 years into it. Then I started to develop pressure and pain in my chest. I sure hope you don't have to go thru that.

Last edited:
I am having a MRE scan in two weeks to see how the inflammation in my small intestine looks. The doc said that will decide what medicine I go on, and then she will do a follow up scope in the early summer. Thanks for the replies. I've never had a health issue that I know of so the thought of Imuran terrifies me.

Lady Organic

Staff member
For most of us, a CD diagnosis comes without a previous history of illness or weakness. It pops out of nowhere. I was young adult too full of life and energy and suddently within 2 months while on summer trip vacation, I was bleeding my colon out. I only had eczema as a child, nothing else. After 14 years since my diagnosis its still difficult to accept to have such a illness. I feel I was less worried and more accepting of it when I was younger. CD is sometimes challenging and comes with good and bad times. wishing you speedy and long remission (good times!).