• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Diagnosed, Having some Issues.

First off I just want to say I love this forum. I've been doing a lot of lurking over the last week and the information on here is top notch.

So the timeline of my Crohns goes like this...

3 Years ago I had severe abdominal pain (guessing it was blockage) after eating nuts. It lasted a few hours and then subsided. I concluded I was allergic to nuts and setup appointments to get my allergies tested. I got tested and I WAS allergic to nuts, so I thought that's that, I'll avoid nuts. Problem solved.

From this point on I was mostly fine, I'd have the occasional bout of Diarrhea after eating spicy foods and I thought that was completely normal.

Fast forward to 2015. In early 2015 I got severe abdominal pain, I believe it was after eating cooked vegetables (Beats, and Parsnip) which I never eat. I waited out the pain and concluded it was just gas pains.

Now the most recent episode. about a month ago I got severe abdominal pains again. This time they wouldnt go away. I landed myself in the ER with a bowel obstruction. They took an ultrasound which wouldnt penetrate my belly because I was so bloated. They took a CT scan and found evidence of "scarring" on my intestines. This led them to believe I had a form of IBD, most likely Crohns. They scheduled a colonoscopy and that confirmed it, I have Crohns.

I'd say my initial thoughts we're okay, lets deal with it and move on. I guess I was ignorant to how serious Crohns is. I've had stomach issues before but nothing that I thought was too severe. However; after my most recent episode I've been having issues. I'm on 9MG of Entocort and I feel worse than I did after my other episodes.

I'm bloated, gassy (Tons of gas!!) and my stomach is distended. Especially below my ribs, I feel like my intestines are swelled up and I cant push that area in!

I went in to my Dr yesterday and we're running some blood tests to see what my inflammation markers are and if they have gone down or not. I really don't want to keep hopping around from powerful drug to powerful drug but I guess it's just something you have to accept with this disease.

I know some of you have it worse so I cant be too angry about a significant amount of gas / bloatedness.

I guess, I'm wondering is this the medicine not agreeing with me or is this my Crohns in a full out flare?

I would have your doctor do some scans. I was bloated and distended for long time and thought it was just the crohn's. You have to be proactive with this illness. I let it be and I ended up in the ER because of a kidney stone and the scan they gave me for this came back....yes you have a kidney stone but more seriously a grapefruit sized abscess. Crohns manifests differently for everyone but do your best to stay ahead of it because it can be very difficult to get it under control.
This also could be exactly what you are saying, gas etc. but it doesn't hurt anyone to have it checked out. Hope you find some clarity.

fuzzy butterfly

hi leafcrazy, welcome, short n sweet answer is check,check n triple check with docs on anything and everything you may be worrid about, coz it can save you a lot of pain n time suffering, never feel it may be insignificant, it may well be but dont risk it !!
best wishes n good luck...

Last edited:
I would have your doctor do some scans. I was bloated and distended for long time and thought it was just the crohn's. You have to be proactive with this illness. I let it be and I ended up in the ER because of a kidney stone and the scan they gave me for this came back....yes you have a kidney stone but more seriously a grapefruit sized abscess. Crohns manifests differently for everyone but do your best to stay ahead of it because it can be very difficult to get it under control.
This also could be exactly what you are saying, gas etc. but it doesn't hurt anyone to have it checked out. Hope you find some clarity.
I had a CT Scan when I went to the ER 3-4 weeks ago so I'm not exactly worried about having a stone or abscess.

hi leafcrazy, welcome, short n sweet answer is check,check n triple check with docs on anything and everything you may be worrid about, coz it can save you a lot of pain n time suffing, never feel it may be insignificant, it may well be but dont risk it !!
best wishes n good luck...
Thanks Mandy, I havent had a lot of experience with my Dr yet but I hope it's not hard to get appointments and get in and talk!

Welcome to the forum. I too bloat and have awful gas, if I eat the wrong things. I don't have problems if I stay on low residue, and low fat. I too have a lot of scarring, and imho that's the reason I can't digest fat. I can't digest beef either. I don't eat any raw veggies anymore. Has your doctor said anything about diet? Many of them don't. Mine wants me to stay on low residue. I've been to nutritionists to tweak my diet as well. Have you had your vitamin levels checked? Many of us have deficiencies or malnutrition. Hang in there, it gets better. :ghug:

Welcome to the forum. I too bloat and have awful gas, if I eat the wrong things. I don't have problems if I stay on low residue, and low fat. I too have a lot of scarring, and imho that's the reason I can't digest fat. I can't digest beef either. I don't eat any raw veggies anymore. Has your doctor said anything about diet? Many of them don't. Mine wants me to stay on low residue. I've been to nutritionists to tweak my diet as well. Have you had your vitamin levels checked? Many of us have deficiencies or malnutrition. Hang in there, it gets better. :ghug:
My Dr isnt too worried about Vitamin deficiencies. I've never appeared malnourished and have actually been a tad overweight most of my life. However; with my recent blood test she is testing my Vitamin D levels to confirm.

My Dr told me to avoid Raw Veggies, Fruits and Popcorn basically.