• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed little girl...this mama has lots of questions!!

Hello,
My 7 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease. We opted for the EN feeding treatment and have done so for almost four weeks. I am not sure that the inflammation has gone down, but I have noticed that her farts are incredibly stinky! I am wondering if that is a result of the Pediasure peptide formula...
What has been your experience with the tube feedings? Any advise is greatly appreciated. :smile:

Hello and welcome!

My daughter was diagnosed when she was 15 and although she's never had a feeding tube, we have noticed that she would have stinky stools whenever she would first start to have a flare. After the inflammation in her system was reduced, the smell went away. Have you had her Vitamin D level tested? If so, what is her level? The reason I ask is we find that when we increased her intake of Vitamin D3, her inflammation would go down, therby, eliminating the smelly stools. You should consider giving her at least 1,000 IUs of Vitamin D3 everyday, but once you know her actual D level, you can better decide how much D3 to give her along with cofactors such ss Folic Acid, Zinc & Magnesium. For more info about the importance of Vitamin D3 supplements for Crohns patients, and for everyone for that matter, visit http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=23826.

I hope your little girl feels better real soon. I'm sending you and your daughter lots of hugs. Take care.

Lisa :hug:

my little penguin

Staff member
Welcome
My 9 year old also has crohns and did 9 weeks of een peptamen jr.
Please join the parents of ibd forum

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

As far as gas -could be the formula ... I don't remember since ds was over a year ago.
( also dx at age 7)
Is she on a maintence meds ??!
These take time to work -if you start early then you might ward off needing pred.