• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed new member

Hello!

I've recently been diagnosed with Crohn's after a year of back and forth with my GP. Having always being over weight, Crohn's wasn't considered when I started presenting at my GP and dentist with severe mouth ulcers. After dropping six stone in one year, my GP referred me to a GI consultant who took one look at my most recent blood test results and the weight loss and had me admitted. A formal diagnosis followed about a month after.

Unfortunately the steroids seem to have done sweet FA to touch the symptoms, but delighted me with a very long list of side effects. Because of my lack of response to the steroids and the state my health has been in, my consultant recommended Remicade or Humira. I'm going with Humira because there isn't much I won't do to avoid spending any time at all in hospital. He's advised me that I'm very likely to need surgery within the next three years, so avoiding the place whilst I can is very much the way to go!

I've been off sick from work since I was admitted in April, but am planning to go back on a phased return next week. Will need to see how that goes, as my work involves visiting vulnerable people in their own homes. I'm hoping adjustments can be made which would allow me to do telephone work until the Crohn's symptoms are more under control. Until then I was also studying to become an occupational therapist, but am now on an official study break as I've not been well enough to go on placement, which is a big part of the course.

It's been a very scary and painful few months. I have so much respect for people who have been living with this painful and distressing condition. It's had me in tears and begging for anything to make the pain go away. Am certainly hoping things improve with the planned treatment!

Until recently I knew very little of CD or UC, and as of now I know one person with either, and that's me, myself, and I. I hope to meet other people living with this.

Anyway, that's my rambling story! Looking forward to talking with other people!

Em

scottsma

Hi EmmaLou and welcome to the forum.Crohns is a stressful disease as you know by now.
When first diagnosed it's scary but often a relief,because now we can put a name to it.
I hope you find meds soon,that will be of benefit to you.We're all different,and what works for some is useless for others.You'll get lots of support on here,and advice from those who have similar problems.I just wanted to say Hi,until someone else comes along.

Thank you for your replies :)

It was a relief to get a diagnosis. It has certainly been the case with other conditions that I live with that proper treatment follows diagnosis. Here's to hoping it's the same this time!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

I understand the feeling of relief at finally getting a proper diagnosis, it's often a battle with these illnesses unfortunately.

I am hoping to be starting humira soon myself but I'm not sure if that's going to happen yet as its down to my consultant after an allergic reaction to inflectra (infliximab) so we could be humira buddies :).

Take a look around the forum, make yourself at home and let us know if you need any advice or have any specific questions. We aren't doctors but between us all there won't be much that we haven't seen or experienced. There is no such thing as a silly question and there is no need to be embarrassed. We are all in the same boat so you won't shock us and even if we can't give you an answer we'll at least be able to empathise and offer you a shoulder.