• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed non-specific colitis 26 years old.

Hi all. I am 26 years old and have recently been diagnosed with non-specific colitis after years of being told I had IBS and after a month of constant pain. I was in the emergency room on January 25 with what I thought was appendicitis. I underwent a cat scan, two internal exams, multiple rounds of blood work, an ultrasound, and a colonoscopy by the time I was diagnosed on February 11. I have been on Lialda since and was doing well for about 2 weeks, practically in remission. Since my stint in the ER I have only eaten one meal a day because of nausea and lack of appetite. This last weekend I had a bachelorette party and drank a little tequila/wine and for the last two days have been having bad reactions to even bland foods and have had the constant crampy and sometimes sharp pains that I had in the very beginning. I am working on seeing a dietician as I am a pescatarian and don't eat meat. As you all know this gets in the way of every aspect of my life especially work. I am a recently admitted lawyer and just started a job in October. I missed almost a full month of work and am now trying to force myself to stay at work and focus on my assignments but it's tough. Any moral support and advice is greatly appreciated.

Trysha

Staff member
Hi CK
Sorry to hear you are going through all of this trauma and hope you will feel better soon
Have you considered a second GI opinion?
Maybe even go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota for this
Perhaps you need a change of Meds.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Hi CK
Sorry to hear you are going through all of this trauma and hope you will feel better soon
Have you considered a second GI opinion?
Maybe even go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota for this
Perhaps you need a change of Meds.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha
Thank you. I have seen two different GI's but that was prior to my diagnosis. I plan to follow up with the GI who gave me the second opinion initially. Thank you for your support!

fuzzy butterfly

Hi and welcome to the group. Hang in there. It can take time to get the best meds for you. Hope you feel better soon. 💕

if your currents symptoms persists for a few more days, do not hesitate to call the GI.
Do you still take the Lialda?
Yes, I am currently taking the Lialda. Things have gotten better but now I am experiencing other side effects like joint pain that I was not expecting. It seems to just be a long learning curve of what to expect and what to eat and what not to eat. I feel like I am in for a long journey.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Yes, I am currently taking the Lialda. Things have gotten better but now I am experiencing other side effects like joint pain that I was not expecting. It seems to just be a long learning curve of what to expect and what to eat and what not to eat. I feel like I am in for a long journey.
have you taken a look at IBD-AID diet in my signature in previous post? This may be an avenue to explore...
And yes as Ron mentionned it, joint pain could be an extra-intestinal manifestation of Inflammatory bowel disease, report this to your dr. wishing you well.