• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Diagnosed : What Do I Eat Now !!

Lynda Lynda

Started having watery diarrhea in 1997
Diagnosed IBS 1998
Diagnosed Ulcerative Colitis 2006
Bile Acid Malabsorption
Diagnosed Crohn's 2018

My Ulcerative Colitis, of course, was no "walk in the park," but my Crohn's diagnosis has been a "life changer."

Ulcerative Colitis : I could not tolerate any vegetables except potatoes. I could not tolerate any fruit except bananas. I could not tolerate any greasy food due to my Bile Acid Malabsorption. I could not tolerate pork products or eggs or shellfish. I could always tolerate sugar, dairy products, lean meats, starches. So basically I could not tolerate healthy food but I could consume massive amounts of sugar and still have glucose level of 100 or lower. [ I know about the BRAT diet. ]

Now this Crohn's. I could cry. My terminal ileum is inflamed and has a stricture. Now I am on Humira Pen Injections, 6mp pills and VSL#3. My testing is done, I have a diagnosis and I have a treatment plan. Now it is time for a "gut" tune-up.

I have been drinking liquids for four months and also soft foods. And I am trying to add simple food back into my diet. I do not eat healthy and I want a "diet" that is healthy and nourishes my body and calms down my inflammation.

I am willing to make major changes because in my "diet" because what is the point in taking the 6mp pill and Humira Injections and the VSL#3 if I am eating junk.
[ Yes, these Ensure Drinks have ruled my life for four months. ]

[ Please do not say for me to BAKE anything, because believe it or not I have NO oven in this tiny, one room apartment kitchen. I have a hot plate, toaster oven and a microwave. So baking is not going to happen, unless it involves a toaster oven. But I do own a brand new Nutribullet "blender." ]

I am planning on reading the posts in this sub-forum this week to learn more.

Thanks for listening.
Lynda 🌻

Have you tried keeping a food diary? Write down EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, and any symptoms you had that day. Sometimes I react that night or the next day. It will also show your bad habits and the junk you eat in black and white. I also make sure to drink 1.5 - 2 liters of water a day. I get easily dehydrated. Sometimes people mistake thirst for hunger pangs.

Take time to read up on ancestral diets (paleo, PHD, WAP, SCd, GAPS, etc [1]).
But don't rush out and do anything weird or extreme,
Sometimes we need to decrease microbial activity and sometimes we need to increase it.....
But doing one when you should be doing the other is a major pain......

A nice gentle approach is to swap out unhealthy foods for healthy
(like olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, grass fed lard and fat instead of corn/soy/peanut/canola/etc oil)
Getting all wheat and gluten out for at least two months and probably never reintroducing them......
Avoiding all processed 'food-like-products'......

When introducing veggies they should be well cooked and try one at a time to see how you react (google "paleo mom aip diet" for the serious end of the elimination diet spectrum. Probably good to start with a low fodmaps approach to veggies, try the safest first )

I found that once i took out the 'bad' foods i could tolerate/digest the 'good' ones......

I have been drinking liquids for four months and also soft foods. And I am trying to add simple food back into my diet. I do not eat healthy and I want a Please do not say for me to BAKE anything, because believe it or not I have NO oven in this tiny, one room apartment kitchen. I have a hot plate, toaster oven and a microwave. So baking is not going to happen, unless it involves a toaster oven. But I do own a brand new Nutribullet "blender."
There are many good Paleo pancake and flatbreads recipes out there.

-Be wary of the nutribullet,
If you determine that more fibre is good then proceed with caution but if 'settling down' seems like a good idea then less fibre (or more thoroughly cooked) might suit you better

[1] For example - PHD, Perfect Health Diet Approach to IBD
- well worth reading.
If it makes sense to you then great, if it looks like quackery then avoid ;-)
https://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost.php?p=1004600&postcount=3

Bufford

You may want to consider getting a pressure cooker, they do a good job cooking foods making them soft and very tasty. I have done a variety of foods, it does so very quickly and the unit is easy to clean. Just about anything can be cooked from whole chicken to cakes. I found it did a nice job on fish with simple seasonings and lemon added to the fish placed upon the rack and the water below.

Pressure cooker will plug into an ordinary outlet and produces little odor.

You can go to an ayurvedic doctor. They are very, very focused on what you should eat and they will give you real advices, they treat a lot of people with diseases like Crohn's and UC (if you go, ask them if they treated people with Crohn's).

Since you seem to have a really big problem with your digestion that lasts for a looong time, to me it sound like you should say "I'm done with trusting MD's because they obviously don't know how to help me except to give MORE and MORE medicine, as they are thought in college". The medical industry and the pharmaceutical industry are like hand in hand, so any product they're selling you like Ensure drinks, believe me, they are getting more ($$) benefit from it than you are.

First advice: get rid of the microwave, it does nothing good for food.
Also, I drink a lot of liquid a day, but I'm drinking it mostly in form of tea (mostly green tea). You can try drinking green tea, I think everyone would benefit from it. Or any other tea you like :) but the green tea is very good because it has antioxidative properties which means cleaning your body from bad things.