• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Diagnosed with Crohn’s. Having issues with joint pain and abscesses

Newly Diagnosed with Crohn’s. Having issues with joint pain and abscesses

I have crohns only diagnosed last year, even though had same pain for 25years. But recently got swelling and pain in hands feet knee ankles spine ect got scans to say bowel related arthritis, also having 3rd surgery of bowel strictures as have regular abscess being drained with is so painful also lot pain in rectum area with big painful swelling of whole bowel and tummy just been put on sulfasalazine and azathioprine just hope this works....am new to crohns some till finding out bits Everytime I come on here which is helpful...I'm confused on when people say remission as I've been in lot of pain everyday for months wondering if it will stop. As I'm a busy mum of four that helps me to concentrate on other things but crohns affect s my whole life at the moment nwith pain and constant trips to the bathroom

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Marina and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to hear of all you are going through. :hug:

Crohn’s is a disease that is characterised by periods of remission and flare. remission is a state in which the disease is lying dormant, which means there are no symptoms present. This is confirmed by normal bloods tests, normal inflammatory markers and full mucosal healing as evidenced by scope and biopsy. For those with small bowel disease where the scope can’t reach imaging would be used to gauge as best as possible that there is mucosal healing.

The issue that can also be faced for those with IBD is that whilst there may be no evidence of active Crohn’s disease for some, EIM’s (Extra Intestinal Manifestations), may remain active. For example, the inflammation in larger joints like knees and ankles runs parallel to intestinal inflammation, so get the Crohn’s under control and your joint inflammation will go too. But inflammation in smaller joints, like the spine and hands, runs independently to intestinal inflammation, so whilst you can be in remission with Crohn’s the small joint inflammation may persist. Sounds confusing I know but it can explain why some people are in remission yet continue to have issues with other body systems. :(

Have you been on Prednisone at any point?

Sulfasalazine is an entry level drug and Azathioprine is the next level up. Very common to have this combination of drugs but be aware that Azathrioprine normally takes at least 3 months to become fully therapeutic and for some as long 6 months. Did they do a blood test called TPMT before you commenced the Aza? It tests if you have a particular enzyme in the liver to help metabolise the drug. Are you having weekly blood tests?

I hope the drugs the work and you are soon feeling on top things again. Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

I have seen a rheumatologist he done the test for arthritis and gave me a person's shot and sulfasalazine meds, I'm having open Seton for abscess, and op on neck disc as it's indented spinal cord, due to arthritis,,,,have severe inflammation bowel disease just feels so sore and painful, while joints are red hot swollen feeling and feet feel like I'm walking on broken glass x

Hi Dusty cat that makes sense to me now...I had blood test to see if I could have azathioprine and have to have blood tested every two weeks ,,it's crazy to think how crohns can affect all these different parts of body and I was given pension injection which I found really helped with joint pain:ysmile:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
As you are under the same guidelines and we are in Aus when it comes to the treatment of Crohn’s you will find you will need to fail the Azathrioprine before you will be considered eligible to move onto one of the biologics.

So if you have had steroids, 5asa’s (same class and very similar to Sulfasalazine so you are covered there), immunosuppressants (Aza, etc) and still can’t control the disease you will moved onto a biologic. This is referred to as the step up method. This is normally the method used, except in paediatrics, in most countries with universal health care where the government subsidises medications. In the US the step down method is more frequently used, this is where a biologic is prescribed first.

Have you had oral Prednisone recently?

Have they prescribed antibiotics recently, like Metronidazole?

Has a liquid diet been suggested? Otherwise known as EEN (Exclusive Enteral Nutrition). It is a complete liquid diet that is used for approximately 6-8 weeks. It can be helpful in resting the bowel and reducing inflammation and symptoms.

I had the pensions shot and do have metronidazole quite a bit for abscess,,,I just want to stop that horrible ache pain from under my rib cage to my lower abdomen feels so sore and bruised all the time

Has anyone suffered high blood pressure while on sulfasalazine and azathioprine I've always had low blood pressure now it's 159/97 had my second reading today,,,if still high then they wanna put me on more pills which I'm going to question,,,