• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed with crohns.

Hi! I was just diagnosed with crohns a few weeks ago, i am also a type 1 diabetic, I dont know really what to eat,asked my doctor for a referral to a dietician and he told me to research on the internet. I suspect that I have had crohns for about eight years(knowing the symptoms now) i have had my appendix taken out, (crohns cramps), told I had some kind of complication with a nerve in my stomach due to diabetes(I cant even pronounce the name, I think it was something with a vulga nerve?) which was confirmed as crohns. My life especially the last four years has been miserable, I just want to feel like a human again. Thanx to anyone who can help.

Hey there,

So from your post I understand you have had Crohn's symptoms for the last four years? It sucks to live miserably, and not have a diagnosis. How did they actually diagnose your Crohn's (normal route would be via a colonoscopy with biopsies of tissue samples, blood tests for inflammation markers and a differential diagnosis taking your symptoms into account)?

In any event, informing yourself about Crohn's is definitely the first right step to get it under control. Diet is only part of the puzzle to get it under control, have you talked with your GI about long-term management? Normally if you got inflammation and not just very mild Crohn's your doc would suggest either immunosuppressives or biologics (or in some cases a combination) to get you into remission (symptom free).

As to diet, unfortunately most Crohn's patients have made different experiences. There is a golden rule for most, which is that everything which goes towards a certain extreme isn't good - that is, if you eat too oily, too spicy, too salty, too sour, too sweat etc. foods. Or in other words, neutral taste is normally considered good. There are many threads on this forum about what people eat and where they have problems, I'd recommend to search for them and just read a lot to get an overview. With Diabetes you are already confined to certain foods, but to be quite honest, anything that would get your blood sugar completely screwed up would probably also get you in trouble with Crohn's.

I can tell you one thing, it might take a while and take some effort (and getting information and a good GI etc.) but you can definitely get Crohn's under control and get back to living a very normal, good life without any pain or problems.

Cheers,
A

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I'm also type 1 for the last 17 years and was diagnosed with Crohns last December so I understand your problem, diet it wise from what I have experienced so far it seems that the diet management for Crohns is the opposite of what we should be following for our diabetes. I do find the diet very restrictive and have noticed that I need to dose adjust my insulin all the time. Have a look at the low residue info, I will include a link, and then remove anything obvious that would cause problems with the diabetes.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Low-Residue-Diet

I found my Crohns diagnosis very overwhelming on top of already managing diabetes, how are you feeling about having the two? I would be very happy to chat with you if you wanted to PM me cause I'm still going through what you are too.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=49117 this is a support form for people with both conditions, it's been a bit quiet recently but if you posted a question there you might get some more help.

Will be thinking about you, take care and big hug. :ghug:

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm glad you found your way here. You've already received some good advice, I simply wanted to chime in and welcome you.

All my best to you :)

It's the vagus nerve they are talking about. You didn't mention what medications you're on though.

I really feel for you. Managing diabetes is tough enough. I can't imagine adding all the idiosyncrasies of Crohns. It sounds like Lizbeth has your back thou and will know exactly how to help you.

Good Luck!