• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed with Crohns

Hello,

Just found the forum scanning the web for information, was diagnosed with Crohns three weeks ago, after spending ten days in the hospital with a 1st time flare. Im 27 years old and generally just trying to work out what works for me with regards to diet and lifestyle.

Looking back i have probably suffered with minor symptoms of crohns for a long time, but never anything bad.

For three weeks prior to hospitiliasation, i had suffered with on and off Diahrea which i had put down to drinking liquid egg whites, anyway cut those out and it still continued...The morning it all got worse had been awake from around 2am with horrendous stomach pains, and then of course came rather a lot of blood, it seemed like it was never going to stop (in the end it continued for three days)

Took myself to hostpital to check for infections etc, nothing found, then on the 4th day was given an endosopcy and biposy which confirmed the Crohns.

I did follow a bodybuilding lifestyle with regards to diet etc, and im struggling to cope with the weight loss etc, however i seem to have found a structure thats working right now and my weight has been stable for 9-10 days now.

Pretty scary experiance all in all, luckily theres a lot of information out there and essentially it seems managable...early days really. Still of course taking medication, I did try lowering the dose of steroids and felt worse so put them back to recommeded dose.

So, there we have it, will have a read around the site and see whats what,

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum. For what it's worth - I've been ill with IBD for about 4 years, and I've been lifting weights for about the past 2.5 years. It's possible to continue with an active lifestyle even when you have an illness like this. There may be some struggles as you figure out what does and does not work for you in terms of diet, medications, etc. It's not always easy, but it is possible. So don't give up, and good luck!

Welcome Outlander.

I struggle with an active lifestyle even though my mind is racing to go! Still trying to find the right meds for me.

Hope you manage to find a nice balance and continue doing what you enjoy.

Best of luck chap.

Thanks guys, so far so good. I think i have been lucky tbh, still using the C.steroids and asacol etc but they seem to work. Just dropped down another 1/4 of a tablet so will see how that goes.

Im managing to still put away a good chunk of calories (was eating about 5k a day) now more like 2700-3000, but no flares or gas and pains other than the one time two weeks ago. (early days yet but im keeping my diet strict and very basic, chicken and rice mainly)

Training have changed to only three days a week, pretty short intense sessions. Would have normally done 5 days and alot longer, to be honest i think i feel less tired overall now than i was before...go figure.

How has it effected you jamie? unable to train due to pain, or lack of engery etc?

edit - i had colonoscopy, not endoscopy...(the difference i have no idea :D)