• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Diagnosed with Crohn's

Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's (with possible unconfirmed additional Bihcets) in May 2014. I had had GI problems since January 2014. I originally thought I had IBS but kept getting sicker until I felt my body was falling apart.

By the time I was admitted to the hospital in May I had unlcers in my colon, intestines, esophogus, mouth and on my tongue, swollen retinas, uveitis, hemorrhoids, a fistula and an infected abscess.

I started Remicade and Imuran on May 22nd. So far they've been kind of miraculous, except for pimples and thinning hair. I've had 3 infusionas and am most of the way through my first 8 week gap. Kind of afraid to relax and jinx things.

Now trying to put my life back together and come to terms with the fact that at 29 I suddenly have a chronic disease.

welcome to the forum.

so glad to hear the Remicade is working for you.
and sorry to hear all that you are dealing with. You are obviously the type of person to face things head on and reach out for information and support.
you have come to the right place!!!!

keep us updated on your progress and you will make friends for a lifetime on here, i almost guarantee it. these people know what you are going through.

I am glad to hear you are doing the Imuran with the Remicade. I have heard those two work well together.

talk soon and please look at all of the topics from what foods, more tests on vitamin deficiency and even a few topics to keep you smiling.

Hi
My name is john and I have suffered from IBS I was told for over 30 years. It was on my 5th 999 admittance to hospital for severe stomach pain another consultant (Dr Subhani) wanted tests to find out what was really happening. Literally less than a minute into my barium meal it was obviously crohns I was told. I have 5 strictures in my small bowel and one at the terminal ileum. If this treatment fails I have another consultant who has examined me and my notes to remove the offending nasties :) my CRP of > 100 and the stool test was mega high. My treatment since diagnosis has been excellent. I was on aziathioprine, mecaptapyrin methotrexate but all severely affected me badly. Just over a year ago was put onto 8 weekly infliximab (remicade) and what a difference! I still had 'bad days" ( I also have paraplegia @ T10, Ménière's disease and worn out shoulder/arm joints from 30 years in my chair :) but on the whole life is good (I am a Christian and my faith, family and friends have been great). I fully understand those black days when pain seems to be everywhere and just moving is agony. The better days do come. My consultant is brilliant and actually talks to my wife and I as friends so I feel not just treated but cared for. I discovered this support forum and it is great to see others encouraging and supporting each other and I wanted to introduce myself. There is life after and with crohns, it maybe different but is good and precious.
Shalom john

Last edited: