• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed

I am 43 years old and have recently been diagnosed with Crohn's. I was diagnosed after having a bowel resection 5wks ago. Didn't really have any symptons prior to the surgery.
I have been mostly ok since the surgery but started having a flair up a couple days ago. In the bathroom non stop and terrible stomach pain. Still have seen a GI, that happens this week. I am terrified of a life long battle with hospitals, pain meds and whatever else comes with that. Still learning the ins and outs of the disease, and trying not to become depressed. I am also a type 1 diabetic so i have that to contend with as well.

Welcome ljswoodstock,:)
I am very glad you are seeing a GI this week. Make sure he or she tests you for iron and B12 shortages in your blood. Also calprotectan levels and inflammation markers. Don't assume your life is over just because you have crohns. There are a few good diets you can follow that have a very positive impact on how crohns affects you. Look on our main forum page and you will see the section for diets and supplements to take. Many people who have crohns lead a normal and active life. There are many new medications that work great if you don't get into remission. I have been diagnosed for 2 yrs now and just from diet and supplements and taking cholestyramine for the runs, I am pretty good. I do have pain and my stomach hurts sometimes. But I pay attention to what caused my tummy to hurt and try to avoid that food next time. Greasy foods and tomato sauce and spicy foods, oh and beans. Enemies for me. Some people can't tolerate gluten or dairy products. You have to try eliminating things and see what works best for you. Anytime you need help or have a question, there are great people on here who have alot of the answers you seek. Feel free to PM people too if you need to have a personal converasation and don't want to share with the whole forum. But we all struggle with embarrassing things here and we laugh and joke about them. We have been there. Open up and ask away. Hope you begin to get some answers with your appt. Let us know how it went. Others will probably share things I didn't think of to ask your GI. Hope to hear from you soon!:)

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis :(

Out of curiosity, what led to the bowel resection?

All my best to you.