• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed

Hello! I am new to the group! I was just diagnosed with Crohn's after a colonoscopy and biopsy. I have been in treatment for Lyme Disease and coinfections for about 6 months with my main symptoms being "IBS." I have had symptoms for about 3 years. My GI doctor suspected microscopic colitis after the initial consult. After the colonoscopy, he reported erythema and congestion in the entire colon consistent with unspecified colitis. After a week, he called me and said the biopsy indicated Crohn's. He seemed a bit surprised and has ordered blood work to confirm the diagnosis and started me on Pentasis (two 500mg capsules 4x/day.) Just curious if others were diagnosed strictly by biopsy or if both that and blood tests are needed. I am very new to this and am trying to get a handle on what I have in store for me. I have a feeling I will learn a great deal from you all. Thanks!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. I was diagnosed in the pediatric GI's clinic at the hospital. He did a sigmoidoscopy. All the other tests confirmed what he already knew.

I hope your treatment puts you in remission soon and you can get on with living. Best wishes.