• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed

My name is Katelyn I'm 19 years old and I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease, about a month ago in October. I had a flare up that lasted about three to four months. I was diagnosed with OCD when I was six and anxiety when I was in my freshman year of high school. I started to feel really sick around the end of May. However my family and i just dismissed it as the stomach flu. My mom is a pre-k teacher so it's not uncommon for her to bring home illnesses and pass them on to the family. I even went to see a local doctor to see what was wrong. I had constant diarrhea and had trouble keeping food down. He also said it was just some type of stomach bug and would probably pass in a couple weeks. Around the end of the school year I started to feel sick again but we thought it was just the anxiety starting up. I was graduating high school, my two best friends had cut me off completely and a lot was changing so it made sense for this to happen. Throughout the summer I had a lot of "anxiety" problems. Every year my family goes to a camp that lasts about a week. This year was my first year as a councilor and I just felt weird. Like i couldn't keep up with everything that was happening. I felt way to week to do anything. After camp we thought it would be a good idea for me to see my councilor that helped me through it the first time. After i met with her the first time she told me to go see a doctor. At this point I had lost almost 30lbs and felt really week all the time. That night i went home and told my parents and we went to the ER. When i first got there they did testing and it came back that my body was fighting a major infection and I had an iron level of 6 (the normal level is 12 or 13). I was complaining of severe stomach pains so they decided to do an ultrasound to see if there was anything responsible for it. That night they did my first ultrasound and found a mass the size of a grapefruit in my pelvis on my right side. Our local doctors thought that it was cancer so they sent me to Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN to get it removed. When we arrived they did multiple tests and found out it wasn't cancer but an abscess. Originally they wanted to drain the abscess but through MRI and CT scans they could tell i was too bloated and swollen to have a drain put in They tried to reduce it with antibiotics but that didn't work. They sent me home to continue antibiotics through the month of September. Towards the end of the month of September, after multiple testing including chest x-rays, CT scans, MRI's and a sigmoidoscopy the doctors decided that the best option moving forward was surgery. I was scheduled for October first at 8am. When they went in for surgery it was a lot worse than they thought it would be. The infection had spread outside of the abscess, to clean it out they had to go layer by layer. Along with that they had to stitch up a hole in my stomach, small intestine and an ovarian cyst on both my right and left ovary. Along with removing the abscess which was on my right ovary, and removed 8 inches of my colon. My doctor wants me to start on Humira to get into remission. I agree with him about being on medication but I'm still really worried to try a medication that is so strong. Is anyone else here on Humira or starting it anytime soon? I would like some reassurance that this is the right thing to do. I am going through Mayo clinic so I know the doctors know what they're doing and its the best care facility in the world but I'm still worried about the side affects.