• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed

Hi guys I need advice I had proctitis 2005 went away took unwell last October had colonoscopy last week doctor said there was inflammation multiple ulcers in the lleum gave me a diagnosis of colititis questioning Crohn's I thought Crohn's was diarrhoea I’ve mostly constipation no blood left and right side pain gas gurgling mouth ulcers nauseous and losing too much weight and generally don’t feel well I’ve to go for another procedure I know I have inflammation in the bowel am on no medication at the minute going to see doctor today but I don’t know what to ask ect any advice thanks 😞

Scipio

It's not unusual for Crohn's patients to suffer from constipation instead of diarrhea. Recognizing that with everything to do with Crohn's there are always exceptions in both directions, as a general rule, Crohn's patients with disease in the large bowel often suffer diarrhea and those with disease confined to the small bowel, including the ileum, often suffer constipation. When my ileal disease was flaring I definitely suffered from constipation, and I've never had any diarrhea to speak of.

The bad news is that you probably have a disease that is currently incurable. Nearly everyone here has been given that same bad news at some point. The good news is that there is a lot that can be done to bring it under control and keep it in remission. My advice is to be an active, engaged, and knowledgeable patient. View yourself as in a partnership with your doctor to get the upper hand with this disease. Feel free to come here for support and information. There is a lot of experience and information here, and most everyone is eager to help.

No two cases of Crohn's are exactly the same. So I can't make you any specific promises. But there are many excellent medications available today and more coming all the time. Combine these with healthy living and a good diet tailored to your particular case and there is every expectation of achieving a solid remission of your Crohn's and maintaining it for a long, long time.