• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Dx and out of surgery

Hello everyone,

I was dx with Crohns this Summer through a hospitalization for an infection and 2 colonoscopys. I am 53 years old and have always been athletic and active. I had always tried to watch my diet with the exception of sweets which I love:). I was discharged from my 2nd hospitalization just weeks ago. My world and my family's world is upside down. I had a resection of the small intestine and now have a ileostomy bag. I am still recovering at home.

I've doctor appointments scheduled and plan to make a attack this disease. However, this has rocked my world. I am a social worker and can't work for another 2 months. I've lost over 40 pounds and haven't gained back my appetite yet though I try and eat.

I guess I wanted to vent and say I'm scared. I hope I have the strength to keep moving forward. None the less, thanks for listening :) Bruce

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hey Bruce, welcome to the forum, I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a rough time, I'm glad you have found us though.

Crohns can be difficult to come to terms with, it's a complex and harsh disease but it can be over come. Take your time to get your head around it and don't pressure yourself to get back to work before you are ready.

Are you currently on any medications? You might find it useful to keep a food and symptom diary, keeping track of what you've eaten and how you feel after, this will show you if any specific food is aggravating your symptoms.

Everyone here is very friendly and supportive and we will all do our best to answer any questions and to comfort you when you need a shoulder to cry on. We all understand what these conditions can be like and we will never judge you.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hey Bruce. You've gone through a life changing experience; give yourself time to adjust (more than a few months). I've had this for years. I do everything I want to do except rugby. I have limited Internet access but pm me if you wish.

TY for the kind words. Forgive my newness...but what is "PM" form of talking??

I do keep track of my intake/output and symptoms. I go to my surgeons tomorrow for the first follow up. I've a list of questions :).

I currently take Tylenol and Zofran for nausea. I can't seem to fight off the nausea and has become kinda the worst part right now. Getting used to my bag although when I change it sends chills through me.

I guess I need to have more patience at this point and heal up......