• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newy diagnosed at 54 years old, immune sytem?

Hello I was recently diagnosed with Crohns disease and have been in the hospital for over 3 weeks. I was just released 6/22. This news is obviously a bit shocking. While in the hospital I was receiving 180mg of Prednisone and 150mg of Imuran daily. Now I take 60mg of Prednisone and still the 150mg of Imuran daily. My question is, with these drugs, how damaged is my immune sytsem? I still have another 3 weeks of the steroids and probably 2 months or more with the Imuran. Can anyone shed some light? thank you

Hello there and a big warm welcome to the forum. I am sorry you've found us because you have been diagnosed with Crohn's but glad you have found us as you will get a lot of help and support here. I am a 'late developer' too - diagnosed at 51.
You must have been pretty ill to be admitted to hospital and yes, a Crohn's diagnosis is a lot to take in.
About your immune system. it's not that it is damaged, but suppressed or compromised are two words that you will hear to describe the effects of the medication. Pred is often the first med prescribed as it is fast acting and can get the inflammation under control quickly. The Azathioprine is prescribed to take over from the Pred and is often used as a long term maintenance med.
If you pop over to the Treatment section of the forum, you will find sub forums dedicated to questions and discussions on these two meds as well as others which I think you will find useful at this stage in your journey with the disease.
I hope that you are on the mend after your hospital stay and that the meds are helping to get things under control.

You can start asking for your lab results if you want to monitor things. I get my son's online at the same time the GI gets them. Your White Blood Cell count (WBC) and neutrophil count will tell you the best what shape your immune system is in. My son's WBC count is a 3.6 right now, which is fairly low. Neutrophil count really shouldn't get below 1.5. My son's seems to go up and down a bit but when it is down we get labs every two weeks. Otherwise he doesn't really suffer any side effects from it. Just be a little extra careful about washing your hands, stay away from sick people, and get a flu shot.

We were told if my son has a fever of 101 or higher that he should not take his meds that night (would be imuran for you NEVER just stop taking Prednisone). Ask your GI about it, but it just prevent your immune system from getting too low if you have an infection.

I know it's a lot to take in, I hope you are feeling better very soon!!! ((((Hugs))))

You can start asking for your lab results if you want to monitor things. I get my son's online at the same time the GI gets them. Your White Blood Cell count (WBC) and neutrophil count will tell you the best what shape your immune system is in. My son's WBC count is a 3.6 right now, which is fairly low. Neutrophil count really shouldn't get below 1.5. My son's seems to go up and down a bit but when it is down we get labs every two weeks. Otherwise he doesn't really suffer any side effects from it. Just be a little extra careful about washing your hands, stay away from sick people, and get a flu shot.

We were told if my son has a fever of 101 or higher that he should not take his meds that night (would be imuran for you NEVER just stop taking Prednisone). Ask your GI about it, but it just prevent your immune system from getting too low if you have an infection.

I know it's a lot to take in, I hope you are feeling better very soon!!! ((((Hugs))))
Ive been praying quite abit lately myself, thank you for the encouragement.

Hello there and a big warm welcome to the forum. I am sorry you've found us because you have been diagnosed with Crohn's but glad you have found us as you will get a lot of help and support here. I am a 'late developer' too - diagnosed at 51.
You must have been pretty ill to be admitted to hospital and yes, a Crohn's diagnosis is a lot to take in.
About your immune system. it's not that it is damaged, but suppressed or compromised are two words that you will hear to describe the effects of the medication. Pred is often the first med prescribed as it is fast acting and can get the inflammation under control quickly. The Azathioprine is prescribed to take over from the Pred and is often used as a long term maintenance med.
If you pop over to the Treatment section of the forum, you will find sub forums dedicated to questions and discussions on these two meds as well as others which I think you will find useful at this stage in your journey with the disease.
I hope that you are on the mend after your hospital stay and that the meds are helping to get things under control.

Your inormation was helpful and I thank you, I'm happy your feeling very well as of late!

I'm seeing my GI in 10 days and I already have a page of questions...it was a blessing finding this forum, thank you for your help