• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Next Treatment opinions / Advice please

Ok so my doctor gave me a whole list of medicine options to "think about". My son was diagnosed at Jan. 2014 - has been on Lialda ever since. Started out with no symptoms except blood in stool. Fast forward a year and 10 months, he now has constant diarrhea, urgency, mostly blood, ect.

Latest colonoscopy/endoscopy showed that the inflammation is getting worse from his rectum up the left side of his intestines, around the terminal illium, and now around the appendix.

Has anyone else moved from Lialda to another low dose medicine maybe that worked - without all of these scary side efffects? & Without jumping all the way to Remicade or another biologic?

Any luck with anything that isn't a chemotherapy?!

Keep in mind he is a teenage boy smack dab in the middle of puberty.

Thank you for any advise :)

I just don't like this trial and error stuff.

my little penguin

Staff member
The side effects are only a possibility and DS has been on the scariest of them all ( with puberty looming almost 12 ) since the age of 8
No side effects from biologics
Nothing but a pristine intestine and normal bloods

Now the lower level 6-mp which should be less scary
Yep it went to his liver and raised the liver enzymes
Mtx by itself wasn't enough ended up with vasculitis
So after trying for a almost a year on lower level drugs and getting nowhere fast
DS was put in biologics at the ripe old age of 8

Scary is 75% of those who are not treated with biologics have to have surgery within 5 years of dx
Vs 30-40% who are treated with biologics
Scary is higher cancer rate for lower level immunosuppressants like 6-mp and Aza
Scary is higher rate of cancer in anyone who has under treated inflammation either in the gut or joints .

We take risks every single day but docs don't point those out to you
Risk of death for 14 and under
By car 1 in 250
By drowning 1 in 1000
By T cell lymphoma with ibd or anything else for any average joe on the street 2 in 10000

With ibd and on combo of 6-mp/Aza plus biologics 6 in 10000

So I sleep knowing saving as much as I can of my child's intestine for as long as I can is the goal
Eventually they will have less scary meds but honestly once they work
You never want to stop them

Good luck

Thank you MLP, I am leaning toward Remicade as the dr. mentioned but was wondering if anyone knew anything about LDN for teens also?

You are absolutely right we take risks everyday and going untreated is scarier than any side effect I just want to make the right decision. :)

Maya142

Staff member
We went straight to biologics so I can't really provide you with first-hand experience. But there are a number of parents on here whose kids have done well on either 6MP or MTX.

I'll tag them: Sascot, CrohnsKidMom, Catherine

I have to say that we have no regrets about putting our girls on biologics - in fact, I think it's the best decision we made for them. My older daughter (who has a form of inflammatory arthritis but not IBD) went from being in a wheelchair to a happy, healthy college student who plays soccer! My younger daughter, after 8 months on Remicade, had scopes that showed a "beautiful" colon and very mild inflammation in her TI. Her arthritis is a work in progress, but I can't imagine where she'd be without biologics.

My girls have never had any side effects from Remicade/Humira and found them much easier to deal with than immunomodulators like Imuran and MTX.

There's a great presentation about the risks and benefits of various IBD medications:http://programs.rmei.com/CCFA139VL/

Good luck with whatever you choose!

my little penguin

Staff member
Ldn we were told was basically for mild cases that needed a nudge .
It alters the brain chemistry by stopping dopamine so that it will increase it later.
Messing with brain chemistry is extremely low my list in developing kids .
Too much dopamine is responsible for bipolar disorder and other mental issues
No thank you

I can give you our experience on both LDN and remicade. My son started on LDN about age 12, we were worrying about puberty and he had not grown or gained weight on Imuran despite normal labs so GI didn't feel he was bad enough to warrant jump to biologics and I was terrified of scary side effects of biologics so I had read a bunch of stuff and studies on it and agreed to give it a go. Things got worse before they got better and it was a long time till we reached a good spot after about 8 months and I thought things were good we kept waiting on growth, weight gain and puberty to hit. We decided to add supplemental EN and he did gain weight on it but as soon as we stopped it his weight went down. We had about 4 really good months and then he got c-diff and things just kept going farther down hill and lost most of the weight he had gained he also grew an inch while on LDN so not a great amount but after 3 years of no growth we were hopeful this was during our 4 really good months. We added Imuran back to his meds and did EEN for 8 weeks a burst of prednisone hoping to get back to that good spot. He was now 14 and not a sign of puberty so we also scheduled a visit to the pediatric endocrinologist. They did a bone age scan and said he was 2 years behind and he might possibly be low on hormones. At this same time he had an MRE through his GI and found lots of inflammation throughout the small intestine and a slightly raised fecal calprotectin (all other labs were in normal range as they had been the entire time). He had been back on Imuran long enough that we should have seen some improvement if it was going to work so we made the decision that we had to do something. He was 14 and 5'1" and 89 pounds, his 12 year old brother had passed him in height and weight and puberty! It was really starting to effect Jack mentally and socially. We decided to move forward with remicade and wait on additional testing for the endrocrinolgist. He gained weight right away. We were lucky in that he started feeling better immediately from the remicade, half way through his first infusion he told me he was starving (this was a child that was never hungry and I had to remind to eat) we went out after and he really wanted a cheeseburger and fries. He ordered a double cheeseburger and ate the entire thing and a whole order of fries yes not the most healthy of meals but I was at the point that I would feed him anything he would eat. His meals would consist of eating a few bites and leaving more than half the food on the plate.
That first infusion was January 2014 by April he had grown another inch but we decided to go ahead with endocrinolgist testing as we were still worried about height and puberty. The tests showed everything was fine and GI talked to him about how sometimes people are just short and develop later (even though neither husband, myself or his younger brother were late bloomers). By July of that year he really started growing and reached my height of 5'4" and had caught up with his younger brother. They both really enjoyed that they were the same height as me :) It didn't last long as Jack just continued to shoot up and now not quite 2 years later he is 5'10" and still growing and he went through about 3 years of puberty in 1 year. Went from no body hair to shaving. His younger brother is 5'9". We still struggle with his weight but he is now where near the emaciated state his was in.
So short version after my novel. LDN just wasn't worth the time it took to get any kind of relief and it wasn't enough to keep him there. He also had this weird head bobble thing (almost a twitch) going on while he was on it. It has disappeared since he's been off it. We thought he had some kind of injury and he had massages and chiropractic stuff to try and fix it but now I think it was probably a weird side effect of the LDN. I think looking back now the LDN also suppressed his appetite farther, he just never felt hungry.
Remicade was our miracle drug, he is living a completely normal 16 year old life with barely a thought for his Crohn's except once every 8 weeks when he has to get his infusion. He did not miss a day of school last year and has only missed one this year and that was due to pink eye. He has a zero hour class and works out every day after school, has a part time job, a girlfriend and still managed all A's except for a B in Accelerated Pre-Calculus on his report card he got just yesterday.

My son went straight to remicade, at dx. He was 15.

We have an IRL friend who has a 14 yo who had been dxed since 11. She wanted to avoid thioprines and biologics so after entocort and mtx they opted for LDN. After about 11 months he was symptom free but imaging and scopes showed that inflammation had spread further up TI so they dropped LDN and started remicade. Oddly enough, jmrogers4, he had also developed a tic of head bobbing as well as a squinting motion. It has stopped since coming off of LDN. He is doing great on Remicade and has gained weight and height. He has an MRE and scopes coming up. His blood work has not been a great indicator and their GI doesn't have a lot of faith in FC. Which is odd because I think our insurance just approved it to be covered for C! (After 4 years no less!)

Catherine

My daughter was dx at 16 year. We used imuran as maintance medication from dx.

My daughter is currently in remission and living in England. She has been there almost 6 months. This would not have been possible on biological.

There was a time when I wanting nothing more to use remicade.

Catherine

My daughter was dx at 16 year. We used imuran as maintance medication from dx.

My daughter is currently in remission and living in England. She has been there almost 6 months. This would not have been possible on biological.

There was a time when I wanting nothing more than to use remicade.

Last edited:
My son has been on mercaptopurine for 2 years now with no side effects. It seems to be working for him but then he had no stomach symptoms when he started it. I tried not to go onto it for 6 months but eventually gave in. I read the leaflet once, saw the chemo description and nearly had a fit. Now I just ignore it and hope for the best. It still worries me that he is also a teenage boy which is in theory a higher risk, but he is in the middle of his most important exam year so don't want to rock the boat! Good luck

Thanks everyone! My son is 14 5'8" and weighs 183lbs & seems to be in the middle stages of puberty (voice changed, hair growth ect). He is very active in sports & that is the last thing he wants this disease to effect.
So he's wondering now if the remicade or other biologic will make him loose his hair?

My son tried imuran at dx, but couldn't tolerate it. He was switched to MTX injections, which worked well for 2 years. It is a drug used for RA and for cancer, but in higher doses. The thought of putting my child on a chemotherapy drug kind of freaked me out. But, when you think about it, lots of drugs are used for lots of different conditions. I prefer to think of it as a drug with multiple purposes. Having said all that, the MTX failed in the spring and my son is now on Remicade. He prefers it to MTX and it is working very well. It's true it means a day at the hospital, an IV, etc., but to him it is better than a weekly needle from his mom. Good luck as you make these hard decisions.

crohnsinct

No hair loss here with Remicade.

Some with Methotrexate but minimal and the losing stopped after awhile.

Our GI won't even consider the lower level drugs for kids with IBD. He starts with the immunomodulators in mild cases and hits severe cases (which it sounds like your son is) with biologics.

My older daughter went straight to Remicade. 4 years no issues and only going from strength to strength. She runs on the high school cross country and track teams and swims competitively with a USA Swimming club team.

y younger daughter was a mild case and we have been trying for 10 months now to find a mid level solution that works...EEN, Entocort, Methotrexate...so far nothing. I can't wait for the doc to say biologics! The liver risk with MTX is way more common than any cancer risks with these meds and that risk scare the heck out of me!

When you ask lose your hair do you mean like cancer patients lose their hair? Because the doses our kids are on don't rival the doses that cancer patients are on so the kids don't go bald.

With imuran or mtx(the immunosuppressants) some might find more hair on their brush but it's not like with cancer where you lose enough that it's noticeable so you have to shave your head or wear a hat, scarf, or bandana.

With biologics it's listed as chemo but that is because of its delivery system and make up but it's not like a cancer chemo of heavy doses that causes your hair to fall out.

That's not to say there aren't rare side effects like hair loss, psoriasis, etc but generally the hair loss isn't like that of a cancer patient on chemo.

You can go to our personal pages and probably see pics of all of our kids if it concerns you or your son.

Mtx can definitely be a med that has the side effect of seeing more hair on the brush or in the shower drain but if my son is losing more than normal hair it isn't noticeable and doesn't rival the amount of hair my non IBD daughter loses normally daily. Goodness knows our shower drain hates to see her come home from college for weekend visits!

Maya142

Staff member
No hair loss here with biologics. Some hair loss with Methotrexate, but it wasn't bad at all and not noticeable really.

The doses of MTX and 6MP used in IBD are MUCH lower than the doses used for cancer.

No hair loss here if anything his hair looks better, shinier and fuller maybe because he's absorbing nutrients better and is healthy. who knows?

No hair loss here either on Remicade. Actually, no side effects at all and my son is going on two years now.