• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Night sweats.....

hi all
very new to this world, Crohns decide to visit me in June 2012 and i spent 2 weeks in hospital in september and another 2 weeks in october.......
originally diagnosed with UC i had fever all day every day and was admitted into hospital. was filled with steroids and azathioprine the symptoms started to go and tools were almost normal again. after i was discharged a fistula decided to show up and was admitted to hospital again to have it removed and now i am on the mend and eating pretty much everything besides seeds and small foods that the stomach cannot break down. i have NO symptoms at all of flare ups and everything seems okay except at night time where i sweat so much i need to use a towel to dry myself........ a lot of threads have said this is due to a flare up but everuthing seems okay. is this normal? i am currently on metronidazole antibiotocs (for the abscess) and azathioprine for the Crohn's but my doctor is talking about a new infusion called infliximab...... are the night sweats normal? HELP!!!! thanks in anticipation!

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome!
Are you on prednisone? When I was on it I sweat horribly, and mostly at night. There was a day that I looked fresh out of the shower ALL day. If you are on prednisone, take a look at the sub-forum for it, and maybe look at other side effects of it as well so you are aware of possible side effects that may arise. here is a link to the sub-forum
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Hi thanks for the reply!!
i have been on prednisolone for a while now. back in july it was a liquid enema and adcal tablets - didnt agree!! then i went to pred foam enema and different tabs and still didnt agree. once in hospital i was on steroids via IV and then was on 40mg a day prednisolone tablets. i have had to decrease the pills by 5mg a week but then the abscess came along and back in hospital on IV steroids and once again orally taking 40mg decreasing 5mg a week. i have now finished the course of tablets and the swerats start a few days after; is it like a withdrawal thing? prednisolone pills are horrible, they have more side effects than a mother in law has faults!!! thanks again!

afidz

Super Moderator
Yea, that is a withdrawal symptom :( . How long ago did you stop it? It can also cause severe fatigue and muscle weakness, joint pain and body aches. How are you doing off of it otherwise? Is everything staying under control?

I know this is random... but do people get this WITHOUT medication? I'm currently taking nothing but night time is a nightmare... I have horrendous fevers... ideas? Sorry to thread hijack, it just seemed an appropriate question :)

I know this is random... but do people get this WITHOUT medication? I'm currently taking nothing but night time is a nightmare... I have horrendous fevers... ideas? Sorry to thread hijack, it just seemed an appropriate question :)
Have you got a headache along with the sweats and generally under the weather feeling? If so it's a symptom of a flare up, these along with tummy pains means somethings active.

I had all of this periodically, along with being constipated. It eased once I had a bowel movement. I used paracetamol to ease the pains.

i geet them day and night, im on aza and a few other medication but not pred.

I take alot of pain killers and experience pain at night , My doctor says it the withdraw from not having the pain kilers every 4 hours.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's last November, started having symptoms, including night sweats in October and had them most nights up until recently - after I had been on Asacol and a low residue diet for a month or so..... now all symptoms are gone.

I don't know if it's from withdrawal of Pred, as someone else suggested, or you're still having symptoms of a flare??

Im on Pred and i sweat a lot at night but strangely enough only my legs! Im starting Aza on the 14th but i hope it doesnt cause me to sweat any more or in other places!