• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nighttime Bathroom Breaks

Hey everyone,
Just wanted some quick advice. Getting over a flare, bad one, during the day I am mostly feeling ok, most days. But at night I have to get up to go 5 times. Every couple hours. Then during the day, I'm good for 7 or 8 hour blocks. I am weening off preg and on Imuran and Asacol. Doc says if I can't get over the symtpms I will have to try Remicade or Humara to get to remission.

Is this normalish issues for others. Does Remicade knock you into remission pretty quick. I thought I was getting better but starting to have tougher days after starting weening. Thanks!

Brian

Hi Briancc

You might want to check out the Remicade and Humira subforum (in the Treatment section) and see what other people's experiences have been. I took Remicade and the first time, it worked almost immediately. Unfortunately, since I was feeling better, I stopped taking it, and when I became symptomatic again, taking it created all sorts of problems. I tried Humira and it worked for about a year.

When I was sick, I would get up five to eight times at night, but I also would go many many times during the day. I haven't had your experience of daytime breaks. I imagine that the disturbed sleep and relentless mad-dash to the bathroom must be getting quite frustrating!

I hope you find some helpful info in the Treatment subforums that allows you to make the best possible decision for your body.

Cheers,

Kismet

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I remember the night time bathroom breaks. I remember wishing I had brought my pillow and blanket. I probably would if I lived alone. Can't your GI prescribe something for the diarrhea like Lomotil until you're symptoms are fully managed? Its stronger than Imodium nut only masks the problem although it may be worth it to help you sleep. Dunno about the Remicade but I'd try all meds before hitting up the surgeon. Those meds weren't around back when I needed them. Feeling sick all over again is common when weening off steroids. You may need a slower taper which would involve lowering by 5mg or less then increasing the steroid by a little and so on until you're off (this can take many many months).

I'm glad the days of no sleep are over for me I used to get up between 5-10 times per night and possibly sleep for 1 hour straight at a time. Now I sleep like a log and go normally in the morning and sometimes at night. It's like a dream come true if you can believe it LOL

Hi Brian. Yes, it's quite a common med path. I was on Pred, Mesalazine and Imuran, but had persistent symptoms so was put on Remicade. It usually works fast. I couldn't believe how well I felt after the 2nd infusion. The they might keep you on Imuran to stop your body rejecting the Remi.
Best of luck :)

i have the same problem. it was worse a couple weeks ago. i was almost completely off the the prednisone but symptoms got worse and so ive been put way back on it. my many nighttime trips have ceased to maybe 2-3 times usually around 3am to 6am. I hope you figure out what to do! its all so frustrating

I hope so too. I was felling like I was getting better but since starting to taper I have gone back a step. I hate thinking about more and increasing meds, but whatever it takes to get feeling better. Thanks for the reply. It is vry frustrating. I just want to get back to some form of normal.