• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No diarrhea?

Do any of you not have constant diarrhea? I had it for about a month straight and it was horrible and after I went to the doctor the D stopped but my other symptoms have gotten worse. I feel like I have to have a bowel movement all the time but now I can never go. I thought D was a constant symptom of crohns so I'm starting to wonder maybe I don't have it? I'm getting a colonoscopy on Thursday so I'll see what my GI says then. So do any of you go between D and regular bowel movements or is it always D?? Thanks

I rarely have d. On a bad day, I can go maybe 5 times, but it starts off normal then goes porridge like rather than liquid. Very occasionally I can be taken by surprise by a completely liquid bm, but it's only one or two then back to normal. It all depends on where your disease is- if it's in your colon you will normally have d as that is where the water is normally absorbed. My colon is fine so can usually remove enough water for me to have normal bms. I only get the runs if something irritates my system enough to shoot straight through.

I never had constant D, I've had rainbow colours of poop and C and D and soft and mucousy poop. It isn't the same with everyone.

Good luck with your scope and especially with your prep!

It's not that flattering believe me... LOL!!!! I dream of pooping glitter... Unicorns-not so much....

Glad I could do that for you! I always feel so much better after a good snicker!

Take care

Astra

I'm the same as Rebecca, and it also depends on what I've eaten too.
I don't think every Crohnie gets constant D

Really? That's such a relief to hear that some of you don't always have constant D. Obviously I don't want to have crohn's but I am very sick of the symptoms and I don't want my colonoscopy to be a waste of time. Not to mention my symptoms seem to be changing (not getting better, just changing) and it makes things even more frustrating because I feel like the doctors will never figure out what's causing my problems. So i'm keeping my fingers crossed the colonoscopy shows something...

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm undiagnosed, but I don't have constant d either. I'm similar to what Rebecca described - usually my first poo of the day will be fairly solid, and then subsequent poos will be more and more runny until they turn into d. I do sometimes have watery d, especially during a flare. Ocassionally (usually because of medication, like pred) I will even have constipation. And I have also poo'ed rainbow colors, which is usually based on what I recently ate. If I had spaghetti for dinner last night, this morning's poo will be quite red. And once I dared to eat a spinach salad, and my poo was forest green. No glitter or unicorns for me, though. :)

Couldn't you put glitter on (or in?) your bag? It would look pretty and make all the 'normal' rainbow pooers jealous! Actually I'm jealous of the rainbow pooers, all mine are variations on the theme of brown. Although I did have a scare once when I had red patches mixed in. Then I remembered I ate a slice of tomato the day before as a test, on closer inspection it was tomato skin!

Rebecca, you are keeping me from work! Hahaha!! I am so enjoying the laughs!

I don't have glitter as of yet, but I sense the unicorn is the source of my bleeding and spasms. I think the the glitter should come first.. it's only fair!

2thfairy, I order you to get back to work! And stop hijacking other people's threads with talk of unicorns and glitter! (sorry Lauren!)

Oh and 2thfairy, when you do finally pass the unicorn, let us know!

Rebecca you are such a boring pooper! (Literally) The good thing to come from this is knowing that you dont digest tomato skin, among others, you probably wont digest glitter either. Here in S.A they make glittery cupcakes.....I could send you one!! Just a thought!

rebecca you are such a boring pooper! (literally) the good thing to come from this is knowing that you dont digest tomato skin, among others, you probably wont digest glitter either. Here in s.a they make glittery cupcakes.....i could send you one!! Just a thought!
brilliant!!

you know i have been trying to figure this out for a little while now i have had D for years now up to 15 times a day and then i had my colonoscopy and my small bowel series and now everything is different, i only have D once and a while but i am still having my pains but i am not constipated i am having normal bms in the middle of the D...so i am trying to figure out what happened or if this is normal. Or if anyone else had this problem so i am glad to see this thread because i was feeling alone and sometimes its nice to know other people have the same thoughts as you!!

Calmygal: I'm glad you got some relief from this thread, too :) I thought I was the only one not having D, as I always thought that was a classic symptom of crohn's, but I've found from being on this forum that nothing is really "normal" and everyones symptoms are different.

I am still in the process of being diagnosed my blood test came back positive for crohn's but now idk what they are doing i need to go see a GI i think because my regular dr is not doing to much....

Calmygal- it's possible you were impacted, where there is a hard lump of poo stuck, which prevents anything solid getting past, only small amounts of liquid. But the scope preps would clear it out, resulting in normal bms.

Maybe that could be the reason but i still have occasional D just nothing like i had b4 i just thought it was weird never thought of it like that and i am still having the pain so idk its just odd lol!

I had it for months until my diet changed a bit. Milk I notice gives me the runs and gas. I used to be able to handle milk like water! I also came off pentasa a few times but notice lots of pain.

this thread has made me feel so much better. For 9 months I barely went to the bathroom but I was losing weight, I was having lower abdominal pain and couldn't use the bathroom. Nothing helped, benefiber, Dulcolax, eating the worst possible food...nothing. After numerous tests, they found my problem in my ileum. I mean I was so constipated I would go so long that I couldn't even tell you when the last time I had a BM was. Now that I am on pentasa, I am very regular. I can't tell you how much better I feel and I actually want to eat.

i don't have a problem with constipation at all i just rotate between D and regular bms but i always seem to have a stomach ache or pains so idk...

Ohaj--I am in the same boat as you. I've been dealing with constipation and losing weight. I am having my first colonoscopy tomorrow so hopefully they will be able to give me some answers and hopefully get me on a medication to clear up my symptoms. I miss eating!