• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No dx, colicy pain for 6 weeks

Hello,

I do have the fortune of an unspecified colitis, but the GI I saw recently suggested we wait until my symptoms return to a more severe level to do a colonoscopy.

I experienced 3-4 days of moderate intensity colicy/intermittent sharp pain in my LLQ beginning of Feb, and my PCP dx'd it as diverticulosis v mid-cycle pain. Being a 29 year old who takes oral contraceptives I was skeptical of mid-cycle pain, and diverticulosis seemed unlikely but whatever. The pain got better and about 3 weeks later I got terrible diarrhea for 4 days followed by the same colicy LLQ pain, but more persistent and painful than before. I ended up going to ER concerned it was ovarian in nature, and was diagnosed by CT with colitis due to inflammation of the sigmoid colon.

GI rx'd cholestipol which I did not tolerate well. It made my stools hard to pass and painful and my belly pain was no longer improving and I had a lot of cramping. My "normal" stools lately are soft but formed, not diarrhea but urgent. I have been having "butt pain" and some bright red blood streaking after BMs. No bloody stools, no mucus.

I have a follow up with GI the first week of April, but the longer I go with these twinges of pain throughout my abdomen and frequent, urgent stools the more sure I am that this is not a "self-limiting acute colitis". I am anxious for answers, and I feel like no one in my personal life (husband, friends, parents) understands the stress of waiting and the frustration/fatigue of being in some degree of pain most of the time.

Anyways, thoughts and support would be appreciated.