• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No help yet!

Been on Methotrexate for 3 weeks doing pills. Shots will be coming soon. Still go a lot and most of all feel achy and tired! When will I feel a change? My nurse from my ins company calls once a month to check on me. She says get of this drug sooner than later very strong stuff. Not to be used forever and get blood check once a week. Doctor's never said this to me only to get my blood checked :ybatty:eek:nce a week oh well I'll keep on trucking.

nogutsnoglory

You only need to get your bloods checked that often in the beginning till they know your liver can handle it. Eventually you can prob have bloods tested every 3 months or so. The medication can take 3 months to kick in and to see its full effect.

When I first started MTX I had a lot of aching that was like my Crohn's aches, which my doctor said was probably due to the MTX, it is basically low dose chemo and so not feeling well at first is kinda par for the course, I've been on it for over 3 years and the day after I inject I still sometimes am a little achy the next day

You only need to get your bloods checked that often in the beginning till they know your liver can handle it. Eventually you can prob have bloods tested every 3 months or so. The medication can take 3 months to kick in and to see its full effect.
Thank You 3 months great better than now!

When I first started MTX I had a lot of aching that was like my Crohn's aches, which my doctor said was probably due to the MTX, it is basically low dose chemo and so not feeling well at first is kinda par for the course, I've been on it for over 3 years and the day after I inject I still sometimes am a little achy the next day
Thank You shots to start when drug supply replenishes . 3 months to work I hope. Is any new drugs coming out to try?

In my opinion, the insurance company nurse was way out of line. Crohn's patients take low dose Methotrexate that is safe when used as prescribed. It is not taken at the same doses as used for cancer treatment. Rheumatoid arthritis patients have been using MTX for decades without issues.

And yes you need more frequent labs at first but then that drops down to every 3 months unless you are having problems of some kind.

Best wishes

Last edited:
You're welcome. Post your questions anytime and write down your questions to ask your doctor for your next visit. You could use the following memory aid (BRAND) to help you remember what to talk about with your doctor:

B - what are the Benefits of the treatment
R - what are the Risks of the treatment
A - what are the Alternatives to the treatment
N - what if we do Nothing
D - Decide

Most doctors will (should) check your labs at 2 weeks then 4 weeks then 8 weeks then 12 or 16 weeks then every 3 months after that. So you should have had a blood test by now. If you haven't call your doctor's office and ask if you should get your labs done. Sometimes the docs forget to order them.

Have done that. Has far has do nothing they have told me over last year 3 times. It could be a horrible death! I know one knows this for sure but this is what was said to me and once with my wife.

Well 6 weeks now going more than ever and fistulas rampant and stinks badly. Have problems with left eye and a cough but not all the time. Getting chemo brain freeze was on 6 mp for 3 yrs an 6 weeks of this. Blood work is great go every 2 weeks now. This sucks apply for the bone marrow transplant surgery said I would be good for it but insurance most likely so no figures. Have a Good day all!