• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No more hiding my Illness: It's Out and the Reactions

20 Years hiding my illness, I have come out to co-workers.
Ask me about reactions, experiences. I have realized I have been selfish not sharing my story or illness with others, as I could be support for others hiding in the workforce or life period.

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

20 Years hiding my illness, I have come out to co-workers.
Ask me about reactions, experiences. I have realized I have been selfish not sharing my story or illness with others, as I could be support for others hiding in the workforce or life period.
It's great to hear that you finally got this off your chest. Please let us know how they took it. Even if others in your workforce don't face IBD its important more are educated to look for symptoms in loved ones and to be sympathetic to those who do struggle with this illness.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Good on you for having the courage to share :) how did your work mates take it? It is surprising how little knowledge and understanding many people have about IBD so the more we can tell people and get them to see what its really like the better things will get :). Thanks for sharing :).

Good on you for having the courage to share :) how did your work mates take it? It is surprising how little knowledge and understanding many people have about IBD so the more we can tell people and get them to see what its really like the better things will get :). Thanks for sharing :).

2. Everywhere you go EVERYONE asks you are you feeling better. People at work I never even talk to. It makes me laugh.

3. And the infamous look you get the "you don't look sick" the "you said this "disease is awful," but you look "normal look." It makes me laugh, because I give them the "you are normal" but you look like shit look glare, it is priceless

valleysangel92

Staff member
I know where you're coming from, I get asked how im doing all the time by people that Ive barely seen before.

The "you dont look sick" look is all to common too.. People that dont know me always said i looked fine, it was even difficult for people that knew me really well to see how bad i had really got. Unfortunately crohns/uc are invisible illnesses and its possible to look totally healthy while your insides are in tatters.

I know where you're coming from, I get asked how im doing all the time by people that Ive barely seen before.

The "you dont look sick" look is all to common too.. People that dont know me always said i looked fine, it was even difficult for people that knew me really well to see how bad i had really got. Unfortunately crohns/uc are invisible illnesses and its possible to look totally healthy while your insides are in tatters.
Last summer I finally let my boss visit when I was getting a obstruction taken care of. I guess Im glad I finally did, because now he has a serious understanding. Even to when I was in a flare he made sure where ever we went to lunch, had things I could eat. Yeah, lol some positive, but mostly negative encounters lol, specially with the world becoming so physically/visually vain due to social media, pics of everything all over you know

valleysangel92

Staff member
I was lucky to get some very understanding lecturers at uni, my fellow students however were far from supportive, coming back drunk without keys and phoning me to let them in at 3am, letting boys from other flats try to get into my room at 5am (id spent the previous night in hospital) .. I hated quiting my course when I got too ill but was so glad to be away from them! I hope you get more understanding and support as people get to know you and see what its really like.

Glad you let the news out at work. I told my boss pretty much right away and he has been so understanding letting me work from home when I need to and taking time off for doctor's appts etc. It's really best to be upfront if you have a typical corporate type job. Not sure about jobs that are easy to get fired from though.

I tell all my coworkers now too. At first I was afraid to tell people but after a few months I was just like "f it" I don't really care what they think of it. And the funny thing is, most people I tell seem to know of have known others with Crohn's!