• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No newbie to Crohns

Hi I'm Larry,
I have had Crohn's disease since I was 17. I am 53 now. When I was first diagnosed after several tests I asked my doctor how long will this go on? He said 'For the rest of your life'. I can't tell you how bad that felt at 17. And it's true. I am just getting through another flare up as I write this.
By the time i was 19, I was in real bad shape. I had lost more than 40 lbs from being 170. Mind you I am 6'1". I had terrible diarrhea and pain to go with that. I was losing a lot of blood when my sister took me to the ER. The doctors there said 'We might have lost him if you hadn't brought him in'. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and gained back 20 lbs. Through the years I learned how to deal with it but was hard to cope with the pain and diarrhea. I took several types of drugs but nothing ever really worked.
In 1993 the disease had gotten worse again. They gave me prednisone and I gained weight like someone blew up a balloon. I was taking 60mg a day and most of the pain went away. One day I discovered bubbles in my urine and a strange feeling when I urinated, like I was blowing air out of there. My doctor said you have a hole in your bladder and you need surgery right away.
So I had my 1 surgery in '93 where they removed 14" of my small intestine from the Ileum back. The surgeon said when he was inside that he had seen the disease all over my intestines and that I would probably have trouble again.
They also repaired my bladder and said the disease had created a fistula between the bowel and the bladder.
Not long after the surgery I felt great. No more pain or flare ups for 5 years. Then it came back. Like a timed schedule I have had 2-3 flare ups per year since then. Had my gall bladder removed in 2007 and have had 4 colonoscopys since my intestinal surgery. A few polyps here and there but this last one was polyp free. Great feeling.
Anyway, a friend who knows my condition told me about your site and here I am. Glad to find some people who know of this disease and know how painful and isolating it can be.

afidz

Super Moderator
Hi Larry, welcome to the forum! Glad your friend recommended you here! Its a great loving community. And best part is no one judges because we have all "been there done that"
It sounds like you went through quite a bit throughout your life, thank you for sharing your story, it can be hard to put your life out like there like that. Its great news that there wasn't any polyps this time around, I can only imagine the relief that news brings. HAve you had any problems with fistulas since? I have never had one, but there is a lot of people n here who have if you have any questions. I didn't see what meds you are on now? How do you manage flares when they do come around? Is it specific times of the year or random?

Angrybird

Hello and :welcome: to the forum, I am glad you have decided to join.

I was also wondering if you have had any further problems with fistula's and what meds are you on now? Do you notice whether certain foods aggrivate things for you? I am really chuffed to hear that your last scope was also polyp free :)

AB
xx

Hi Larry! Welcome to the forum. I have the feeling you have a lot you can teach us. There's a great fistula/abscess forum that you could take a look at and maybe offer some folks who are new to that complication some advice.

I know that pred-balloon feeling. I look back on some of my family's Christmas pictures when I was on prednisone and I had a full-on buffalo hump and chipmunk cheeks. No wonder my in-laws silently stared at me for a full 10 minutes when they first came into town. I looked like a Hobbit on... well, on steroids. :)

Hi, thanks for the welcome. I have not heard of half the drugs that everyone talks about on this site. But for me, I started out taking Azulfidine and did for years until my doctor switched me to Asacol. Now I am taking Balsalazide which seems to be working. Once a flare up starts I go right to the prednizone. I don't like pain and pred works for me almost completely. As far as the food, definitely stay away from seeds. Even small ones can irritate your ibd. Multigrain bread, watermelon, of course popcorn, any seeds.
Of course potatoes, cooked vegetables, cereal, white fish, albacore, chicken breast all don't bother me at all.
Fresh salads tastes so good, but usually sparks some pain. I've been through a lot but as I read I find there are so many people out there who are worse off than myself. I wish one day this dreaded disease was gone and I'll try to help when and where I can.

Thanks again,
Larry

Angrybird

Sounds like the foods you avoid are similar to me, when first diagnosed I too was told not to have foods with seeds, pips or skins. Have you been started on the Balsalazide since your most recent flare or were you on this before?

Yes, my doctor prescribed this for me after the last little camera visit. Never used this before. He said it was cheaper than the Asacol and might work faster. Definitely works. I have to take 9 horse pills a day though.
Just over my first flare up this year. Was able to get through working then home to bed 2 days in a row. Had 1st meal tonite and not too much pain. Just a little bloating. Only could eat a small amount. One good thing I will say for all of this is if needed you do lose weight. Maybe I will keep it off. Thanks for writing.