• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No prep- going to cancell colo/endo

I am frustrated, my daughter refused to take the prep for colonoscopy tomorrow. I beg, scream and did everything possible. I tried different formulas. She feels sick, she cries for hours, she is done the same thing on prior procedures but at least she drank some, this time only half of a cup. I am going to have to cancel the procedure. Sorry I needed to vent.

oh boy i went through almost the same thing with my 16 yo daughter just 2months ago.first time upper and lower. but my dr had her start her prep 2 days before,only light foods nothing red,all liquid soups,then 2 days before 5 dulcolax laxatives,then the next day 5 more,then she said an enema 3 hours before procedure but she wasnt having that. yes she complained for 2 days not being able to eat. i was so worried she was not going to be clean enough,but she was even after sneaking some crackers after midnight the night before,then the day of the procedure was even worse than the prep,i told her not to pee before we go since they will do a pregnancy test,well she pee's anyway,they had to give her i.v liquids to make her pee,then they told her she may have to take out her nose ring,she just got it,so she was like nope not taking it out might as well cancel then.. luckily the dr said it was ok to leave in.. this was her first time being knocked out and boy she did not do well,she was sick for 2 days after,she says she's never doing it again,little does she know she has to. you really should call the dr and see if maybe the dulcolax prep would be ok,do not put it off.

Aww. That sounds naff for both of you. I have only had the colonoscopy once and am told I have to have it again soon - I have to say I feel exactly the same way your daughter does about it and have refused to get it done unless it's under general anaesthetic (I had panic attacks throughout it last time, bit of a phobia). Is it the procedure your daughter is worried about more, or just the prep, or just the whole thing and the loss of dignity involved? It can be such a blow to your self esteem at that age, you think being pretty and cool is the most important thing when you're a teenage girl...and spending a day pooping and being sick is not the best way to feel pretty and cool!

It was canceled. Talked to the Doctor's nurse and she talked to her. This will be her third procedure, she is not worried about the procedure, she does pretty good with everything but the preparation. They move it to the end of the month because she has to get the remicade infusion this friday and they have to wait a couple of weeks. I am not looking forward to next time. Thanks

There's always the NG tube version. But the Ducolax prep sounds like it's the most promising suggestion.

This last time my son took his prep in Apple Juice which he said was much better than the gatorade/lemonade options he's had to drink in the past. Also apple juice is a natural laxative. Might talk with your daughter and doctor about that option.

Hope things go better next time.

my little penguin

Staff member
You can ask your gi about different prep options.
Mag citrate - only two bottles depending on the kid easy
Miralax plus dulcolax
Miralax only
Lots of options.

Good luck

Since I knew she does not tolerate the Movi-prep, I got 3 pairs of Mag citrate in assorted flavors just in case, also miralax. I mixed with different drinks and still she did not took more than a sip. She just decided to not do it. The only thing I did not try was the dulcolax. It was one of those days that she wanted to show that she has more power than me. She told me she will do an NG tube better than to drink the stuff. She never had one so she does not know how it feels. She has been sick all day today so it's hard for me to keep been angry at her. But I made her call the Doctor herself and explain to the nurse why she did not went to the procedure.

My daughter had her remicade infusion this morning. Everything went well with infusion, on our way out my daughter notice that her finger tips were purple, we went back to the nurse and they called her pediatrician. Her hands started to get red and swollen. she did not had any pain or nothing. Doctor say it was vasculitis. She was on 30 prednisone and he raised it to 120 for 3 days. Well... as you can imagine I am confused. Anybody had this after remicade?

my little penguin

Staff member
DS had vasculitis prior to starting remicade.
The docs recommended we see a rheumo for the vasculitis- their area KWIM.
The rhuemo also upped his pred.
vasculitis can be an EIM of crohn's and once you get the inflammation under control the vasculitis should go away.
I would ask for an appt with a rheumo ASAP since they deal with it more.

Thanks mlp. I don't think she had vasculitis before, at least nobody notice. Her sed rate before infusion today was 8, so that is great. I just hope it was because infusion was done faster today. Can you tell me what symptoms DS had?

my little penguin

Staff member
DS never had vasculitis prior to that .
He had dark red swelling that started in his toes and spread up his legs .
Every time we decreased pred the red spots on his feet would come back .
He was on Mtx at the time.
Docs even tried increasing the Mtx .
Didn't work .
Three months in pred and we switched to remicade
His sed rate and crp were normal at the time .
Gi thought everything was ok inflammation wise
Rheumo thought otherwise stating there was inflammation since you can't check everywhere .