• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No signs of Crohn's - thank you Imuran!!

Just had a colonoscopy and no signs of crohn's whatsoever.

My last tests showed severe ulceration and cobble stoning (18 months ago). Just wanted to share as we hear a lot of very scary things about drugs, but they often do really help!

I started this drug at 150mg in Jan '11. Will stay on it forever if continues to work! I will mention I felt like death first month on drug, but have felt great ever since then. I also had hair loss initially which eventually subsided

Awww thanks for posting your good news! Its refreshing to hear something positive. I sometimes feel more 'down' after being on this forum than I started with but your post has made me feel more positive! I started taking Azathioprine eight weeks ago. Im still on steroids and Im hoping to start to taper them in about a month. I really hope the Aza works ! :)

Hey Erica

That's good news. Long my it continue.

I agree with Cattack that it's great to hear some positives. I'm not one to bury my head in the sand but sometimes I reckon it's a good thing to maybe play down the negatives as I think a lot to of us on the forum are looking to improve the way we are feeling (and make contact with fellow Crohnies of course).

So, on the good news theme, I took Imuran for 8 years and it kept surgery at bay for all that time. I only came off of it because we thought it was causing my platelet count to go low but very recently we have had reason to doubt this prognosis so I can only guess at how much longer it would have worked if I had kept on it. But there's better things to do than worry about "what if's".

Regards, Nigel

That's great news - congratulations! :)

I started on Azathioprine in May at 100mg but my symptoms came back as I tapered off the steroids - so it got bumped it to 150mg in August with another 6 week Pred course, which I finish on Friday. So far so good, back to normal bms and no pain, really hope it keeps up when I'm off the Pred.

May your good health continue!

Just wanted to add to this 'good news' thread...I have also had the same news. Went for my fourth colonoscopy yesterday which also showed no inflammation or ulceration. My whole large colon was inflammed and I had ulcers on terminal ileum but thanks to azathioprine they have fone away. Im so glad I stuck with it, Ive been taking it for about five months and the first couple of months were horrid...I felt worse than I ever had done before and I nearly gave up on it. Thanks to the encouragment of people on this forum I stuck with it and Im so glad I did! :)

I'm so glad to hear some one had good luck with this drug. Makes my disaster with it come full circle if not for me then thankfully someone! Hope you have continued success with it and remission.

hawkeye

Staff member
Great to hear good news. I credit Imuran with keeping my Crohn's under control for over 20 years with the exception of a few flares in the past 3 years

Wow..20 years..thats great, well I hope it works as well and for as long for me:) I notice yor profile pic is a gorgeous little baby..does that mean you too Imuran during pregnancy? Im just asking as I am hoping to start a family in the near future. I have spoken to my consultant and he is fine with me taking it during pregnancy but its always nice to have some real life experiences :) xx

KWalker

Oh I meant to ask you guys. Is there any difference between Imuran and Aza (the generic form)? With my drug plan they automatically give you the generic form of a medication unless the doctor requests "No substitutions". Should I have him write to give Imuran specifically?

KWalker

Thanks. I'm aware that generic brands have the same medical ingredients but I also know they use different additives. Dusty, I will have a look at that link as soon as I can get on a computer, so thank you!

hawkeye

Staff member
Oh I meant to ask you guys. Is there any difference between Imuran and Aza (the generic form)? With my drug plan they automatically give you the generic form of a medication unless the doctor requests "No substitutions". Should I have him write to give Imuran specifically?
I've gotten aza that has been made by a few manufacturers and not noticed any difference. I just got a refill on Friday and the aza in the refill is made by Apotex my last few refills were made by Mylan.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
This is an extract from the article:

Our study is the first of its kind to perform an equivalency analysis between 6-mercaptopurine, Imuran and its generic formulation utilizing erythrocyte 6-thioguanine metabolite levels in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. In general, patients receiving either 6-mercaptopurine or Imuran therapy achieved significantly greater erythrocyte 6-thioguanine levels than the generic azathioprine treated patients. Interestingly, both the azathioprine and Imuran treated patients showed no differences in median drug doses. Although pharmacokinetic studies were not performed, this study would suggest that the non-generic azathioprine formulation has improved bioavailability.
Dusty. :)

KWalker

Hmm, does that mean that they are equally effective? Sorry, I'm not too smart with the medical lingo lol.

Thanks Dusty and hawkeye!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
The study, although small, is saying that Imuran (brand) has a better uptake/conversion than Azathioprine (generic).

Dusty. :)