• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No sleep with ostomy bag

Has anyone had to relieve bag pressure and poop in middle of night?
I have not had a decent night's sleep since this damn thing has been attached to me. 14 months! I can clock awakenings , one at 2 a.m. and one at 4am.
I don't "go" that much standing up.. :stinks:What do you do about it?

Bufford

I have lived with the bag now for 17 years. Sleep is a tricky thing as I used to be a stomach sleeper. I try not to roll over on it, but still do which often reduces the lifetime of the bag by pancaking it causing leaks. I get up many times during the night to re adjust my position as well as bathroom visits to pee, and sometimes a bag full towards morning. Usually the colostomy stays quiet during the night unless I have gas.

Its a major life change living with the bag, lots of interruptions from sleep it cannot be helped. Its not often I get a containment breach but it does happen. Not fun waking up covered in poo, but all one can do is remain calm, be kind to yourself. Start the washing machine, take a shower, change the bag out, put new sheets on the bed and go back to sleep.

Thanks Bufford. You summed up it all up with your experience.
I am 15 months post op ileostomy. No chance to reconnect. So this is my life. OF course the doctors never mentioned this to me pre surgery. It is not my idea of a better quality of life. I wake up my wife getting out of and in to bed. . It smells. Luckily, have no had leakage problems in a long time. just gotta stay on my left side, and back. it's just the idea, I do not get enough sleep. Maybe I am lucky where I just need two pit stops during the night. but geez, u have to drain the bag because it inflates like balloon, the smell alone overwhelms ya, and you better be sure you hear that snapp if u do burp it.. then clean it. wash your hands. then go to bed? right!!
I understand they offer larger bags and some type of drainage system while sleeping. I think trying to curb your eating habit would help too. they say u have to drink lots of water when colon less. thus the pee trips still wake you. Thanks for sharing man. appreciate it.