• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No sting/burn Humira!

Maya142

Staff member
HUMIRA® (adalimumab) Formulation Update

HUMIRA® (adalimumab) without citrate buffers will be made available to pediatric patients in the United States in the first half of 2018. Additional information on timing and availability will be provided to healthcare professionals in the coming months. See FULL Prescribing Information including Boxed Warning
https://news.abbvie.com/news/media-statements/humira-adalimumab-formulation-update.htm

VERY exciting :)!! My girls are no longer on Humira but I know they will be thrilled for all those who still are.

Fantastic news! Thanks for sharing! (And I hope it becomes available for all patients, not just kids, very soon.)

It is fantastic - Lucy is using it for about 8 /9 months at this stage and she says it is so much better. Word of warning though in Ireland it only comes in the pre-filled syringe so when she was on the lower dose and we had to draw it up ourselves it was still the old stuff. Mad really when you think that it is the really young kids that get it like that!!!! .... so it was available here for about a year before she was able to avail of it due to her dosage.

We inquired about roll out in Canada. We were told it could be YEARS after the U.S. debut.
H is on 40mg every week. Disappointing news!

Maya142

Staff member
Oh no Pilgrim!! That is so frustrating :(. They should at least get it for pediatric patients.

It is finally out! Our first order is on the way. You must tell your doctor to write a new prescription asking for the preservative free version and tell the doctor to put the NDC number on the prescription. (The NDC number is the drug number every drug has its own number).

Maya142

Staff member
Wonderful!!! Really excited to hear how much less it hurts compared to the old version!

Lynda Lynda

It is finally out! Our first order is on the way. You must tell your doctor to write a new prescription asking for the preservative free version and tell the doctor to put the NDC number on the prescription. (The NDC number is the drug number every drug has its own number).
Thank you for mentioning this.

Lynda Lynda

My Humira Nurse Ambassador says all the current Humira will be used up and then the new stuff will be available. Not true !
It is too late to change my prescription now. I will have to wait 90 days.
Take Care. 🌼

my little penguin

Staff member
Lynda Lynda
The newer no burn version is only for Pediatric patients now
Not adults
Not sure if /when that will be allowed for adults

Maya142

Staff member
It is for pediatric patients first. Eventually adults will be given it too, I guess once the supply of the old Humira runs out.

But it is really for little kids for whom Humira is very painful and traumatic.

My kids were teens and managed fine. You will be fine, Lynda Lynda.

Maya142

Staff member
Wanted to add - that's not to say teens cannot get the new painless Humira.

I believe it's for kiddos under 18 - that is just what I have heard on the JIA groups, not sure if it is right.

Yes Maya. That is what the company told me. Right now only for those under 18. Hopefully will roll out soon for those older then 18.
I was literally in the phone for hours with Express Scripts and they couldn’t figure it out and so I called the Company and they told me everything. They were great.
Forgot to add. The needle is also smaller and the total amount to be injected is half. Ours is supposed to come Wednesday and she gets it Saturday night. I will try to update on Sunday how it went.

Soooo the saga continues. Basically express scripts lied when they said they had it. They didn’t have it and their specialty pharmacy acredo doesn’t have it they are out of it. I spent 4.5 hours on the phone with AbbVie and a million other pharmacies on Thursday and another 2 hours on Friday.
In the end it looks like we will hopefully get it from Walgreens specialty care pharmacy but it will take at least another week.
My heartbroke today when I had to give her the old painful shot.

Maya142

Staff member
Poor kiddo - tell her to hang in there! I'm hearing from JIA patients (well, their parents) it's hard to find but it's becoming available.

Heard from rheumatologist that he already had it at his office.
I was almost tempted to ask for one to get her thru the next months.

After 22 hours spent on the phone speaking from everyone from AbbVie to everyone you could imagine the new Humira arrived!!!!
Yay!!!!!
Very excited excited!!!!

Maya142

Staff member
Kim, that is wonderful (well, except for the 22 hours on the phone :ybatty:)!!! Let us know how it goes!