• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nocturnal poopy accidents always indicate a problem?

My son is 3 and has been potty trained for a little over a year now. I can't remember the last poopy accident he had during the day. However, twice in the past 7 days he has woken up with soiled underwear/diaper. The first time, last Saturday night, it was a solid stool and he seemed kind of awake, so I'm not sure if it was a conscious accident or not, but had been calling me for awhile so I don't know if he just had time to wake up. Then he went some more in the toilet and it was slightly loose. Then last night, he was most definitely asleep when it happened as we were still up and got to him right away. And last night it was like pudding consistency in his diaper and then he had some more diarrhea in the toilet and complained of a tummy ache. He tends to have diarrhea from time to time for no apparent reason but very rarely complains of a stomach ache. Obviously I am going to keep an eye on this, but my question is should I be worried at this point?

He was also found to be anemic at his 3 year old checkup in September, which his pediatrician said was probably diet-related and he has been on an iron-containing multivitamin since September. The first time they checked his hemoglobin it was 9.x and then they checked it again and got 10.x. Sorry can't remember the x's. :) It has not been rechecked since.

By way of background: I am not a confirmed IBD sufferer. I am being treated symptomatically for periodic cramping and D by my gastro and it seems to be helping. Anyway, being tested myself has made me more suspicious about poopy issues in my kids, but at the same time I don't want to ignore something potentially serious out of fear that I am just being paranoid.

Edit: I forgot - once this week he woke up from a nap early b/c he had to go poop. I don't remember the consistency of his BM as I was more annoyed that he hadn't gotten his full nap. Just thought I'd mention it.
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Generally speaking children will be clean at night before they are in the day, and before they are dry. However, your little guy is still young, and it's not unusual for children his age to have accidents. Has he eaten anything that could have upset his system? Or picked up a bug? Did he maybe eat later or eat more on the nights he soiled? Personally I would keep a food and poo diary for a while, but as long as he seems well I wouldn't worry too much.

No, he doesn't seem sick or anything otherwise. That was the first thing I thought of, that he might have some sort of bug, but he seems well. No, it's just so totally out of the ordinary for him, so I figured that I would ask. Thanks!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
If he's anaemic perhaps they should test a stool sample just to rule out any blood loss that way.