• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

NOD2 Crohn's Prognostic Test Results

I had the Prometheus IBD Serology 7 blood test two years ago that showed I had a pattern consitent with Crohn's Disease after a colonoscopy had revealed inflammation in my terminal ileum.

I am currently not getting a huge benefit that I can tell from 10mg/kg Remicade administered every 6 weeks. My GI doctor did another colonoscopy just three weeks ago and it was clean. he then ordered the new NOD2 Crohn's Prognostic from Prometheus.

They detected two abnormal levels in my blood. The first, ASCA IgA ELISA with a reference value of less than 8.5 EU/ml, mine was 40.3 EU/ml. The second, Anti-12 ELISA with a reference value of less than 368 EU/ml, mine was 1991 EU/ml.

The report also detected a mutation (heterozygous) of SNP 8.

Has anyone else had this test or know what any of this means?

David

Co-Founder
From the test Prometheus test brochure:
PROMETHEUS NOD2/CARD15 is a genetic profile designed to detect three primary mutations associated with the down-regulation of the body’s immune response to chronic inflammation in Crohn’s disease. Detection of one or more of these mutations suggests likelihood for an earlier age of onset, small bowel stricturing, and an elevated association with fibrostenosing disease associated with Crohn’s disease. The utility of this profile is to help physicians establish a prognosis which may guide therapeutic decisions for Crohn’s patients.
Let me know if you need help deciphering what any of that means.

I hope you don't mind but I changed your thread title to something more descriptive as well.

David

Co-Founder
Discuss this with your doctor as all of this is new to me. And please report back and educate us :)

With some research I found tha the elevated ASCA IgA ELISA means you're at an increased risk for early surgery. However, that case study was only 35 patients so *shrug*. It *could* mean other things but that was the best thing I could find.

The "Anti-12" is actually "Anti-I2" and the best thing I could find was a study in the pediatric population that found a correlation for increased chances of penetrating (fistulizing) and stricturing disease.

But again, this may very well not be correct. It's what I could find and decipher after an hour of research.

prometheius crohns prognostic serology test

I have had severe IBD for 5-6 yrs now..I am a healthcare worker and have had 4 colonoscopies in the past 4 yrs...All my biopsies have been negative for crohns, but my symptoms match, also have periodic low grad temps when my bowel if off, which is often.
Recently I had the promethius IBD bloot test w/ the crohns prognostic, and my gastro doc adv me the test came back positive for crohns.

How reliable is this testing? please advise

Thanks,

xraygal

Last edited:
My doctor believes the Prometheus testing is very accurate. I have seen other people on Crohn's Forum say their doctors do not believe it is accurate.

prometheius IBD crohns prognostic

So the results just are up to the Dr? How do they treat you if no one is sure if you have it?

Last edited:
I was first diagnosed after the GI doctor saw inflammation in my terminal ileum during a colonoscopy. I guess the Prometheus test just proved what he already thought.

MY gi doc did find inflammation, it was just in the rectal area....I guess I am just not your typical inflammatory bowel pt...
Do appreciate any info anyone can help me with on this....I just found out today that the crohns prognostic test was positive...

Thanks alot

I realized today that while all tests (biopsies, blood, etc) may not be positive, but when you add an important positive blood test plus symptoms, you might just have your diagnosis...That seems to be my situation right now....
I appreciate any and all posts since I am a newby....