• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nodule/lump on finger and joint pain

All of a sudden today, I felt this nodule-like lump on the 1st joint of my pointer finger. It is so sore and I don't know where it came from! I always have joint pain right before I have to inject humira ( 2 days out), but am wondering if this is the beginning of something. I already have a painful big toe joint that aches on and off. Any ideas friends? :hug:

Last edited by a moderator:

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Does this sound like something you experience?:

http://www.assh.org/Public/HandConditions/Pages/ArthritisOsteoarthritis.aspx

Osteoarthritis of the hand
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease in which the cushioning cartilage that covers the bone surfaces at the joints begins to wear out. It may be caused by simple “wear and tear” on joints, or it may develop after an injury to a joint. In the hand, osteoarthritis most often develops in three sites (see Figure 1):

at the base of the thumb, where the thumb and wrist come together (the trapezio-metacarpal, or basilar, joint)
at the end joint closest to the finger tip (the distal interphalangeal or DIP joint)
at the middle joint of a finger (the proximal interphalangeal or PIP joint)
It also often develops in the wrist.

Signs and symptoms of arthritis of the hand
Stiffness, swelling, and pain are symptoms common to all forms of arthritis in the hand. With osteoarthritis, bony nodules may develop at the middle, or PIP, joint of the finger (Bouchard’s nodes), and at the end-joints, or DIP, of the finger (Heberden’s nodes) (see Figure 2). A deep, aching pain at the base of the thumb is typical of osteoarthritis of the basilar joint. Swelling and a bump at the base of the thumb where it joins the wrist may also be observed. Grip and pinch strength may be diminished, causing difficulty with activities such as opening jars or turning keys. Pain, swelling, stiffness, and diminished strength are also seen with osteoarthritis of the wrist.