• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Normal CRP but still abdominal pain

ekay03

My dog has hands!
Doc thinks its probably ibs. I know a lot of us hear this. Well if this is true than I must have "caught it" in the last 2 years, because I didn't have this pain after my resection in 2000! I had 10 good years and now the abdominal pain is back the way it was before the surgery. I am not exactly complaining, my gp is a very caring man that is treating my abdominal pain no matter what the cause. I am just bringing this up cause I hear so often in this forum people speak of this. So what is the verdict: people w/ normal CRP = ibs?

I am wondering this as well. My son was just diagnosed a few months ago and didn't have abdominal pain before. Now he is off Prednisone all bloods look great. He has nausea as well. DR thinks it is his other meds and said that sometimes the occasional abdominal pain is his new normal. I don't think we will really know unless he gets worse or at his next colonoscopy. I know that before he was sick, it was weight loss, lack of growth and no appetite that were the indicators. So that is what I am looking for to indicate a problem.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
In the lead up to Sarah's emergency surgery and subsequent diagnosis her CRP and ESR were always normal as were 99% of her other tests. Even though I console myself that all is well when she has blood tests now and they return normal results I know deep down that unless everything else matches...the way she looks, the way she moves (no pain) and if she has no other symptoms then I won't believe them. I am once bitten twice shy. It is an established fact that not everyone with IBD will have inflammatory markers as a sign of disease.

I don't see that the first place they don't look is for active disease or narrowing around your resection site, or have they done that?

Dusty. xxx

ekay03

My dog has hands!
Hi Johnnysmom, In Johnny's case I wonder what meds they think are causing the nausea and abdominal pain? I have nausea too. I take enough meds. I suppose one of them may be causing my nausea, but usually the nausea goes away w/ a zofran tab. And none of my meds could be responsable for the abdominal pain (i dont think). Unfortunately, the abdominal pain isn't occasional. It has been daily for the last..... six months. Daily abdominal pain sucks!

ekay03

My dog has hands!
DustyKat, the doctor did mention something about people on immunosuppressants can have normal test results. What I really need is a colonoscopy. I havent had one since 2006. It has been hard to find a gi in Dallas that take my ins. I am so blessed to have a doctor that trust that I know my body better than anyone!

Johnny gets it daily as well. The nausea is never more than 10 mins to 30 mins and it taken away easily with zofran. It usually occurs after eating. The abdominal pain is usually after eating too and it is very low in his belly or his stomach. The Dr. said it was the allopurinol Johnny is on which increases the 6mp affects. They just added allopurinol last week and they check the levels next week and the Dr. said they might be able to lower the dose. When he first started 6mp the nausea was in the morning which I always knew was the meds because as soon as he ate it went away. This is different though and can occur anytime in the day or evening. He says it feels like gas pains and they only last a few minutes at a time. What is your pain like? Anything you think might trigger it? Sometimes I wonder about the vitamins, they upset my tummy sometimes too.

ekay03

My dog has hands!
Yes Johnnysmom, it could be the vitamins. I take them w/ lunch and about a half hour later I get the pain. Tomorrow I will forgo the vitamins and see what happens. For me the pain is similar to menstrual cramps. I suppose if I was a little boy I would say it feels like gas. I really hope this isn't "Johnny's new normal" I really hate that tearm. Pain shouldn't be considered "Normal". I shall reaport back and tell you in skipping the vitamin made a difference. I hope they get Johnny's meds in order soon. Out of curiosity, how old is Johnny?

He is 11. I think I might hold the vitamins tomorrow too. Just to see if that is what the problem is. I will say that when he takes a chewable (centrum complete) it is much easier on his tummy than the ones he swallows. I hear the chewable are better for crohn's. Let me know how your experiment goes and I will tell you how it goes for us tomorrow.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Interesting about the vitamins...

They don't worry my kids and they don't bother me but someone I work with, no IBD, can't take them because they make her feel really nauseous, no pain.

Dusty. xxx

ekay03

My dog has hands!
I did not take the multi-vitamin and I did not get abdominal pain in the afternoon. I guess the multi-vitamin is causing the problem. Well that sucks. They are important, and I need them. I just have to suffer and take them.

Maybe two centrum complete chewables for kids? I read that the coating on vitamins is what can upset your stomach. Johnny had a stomach ache this morning when he got up, he said gas pains again. I skipped the multi vitamin and one of his iron pills but I gave him the other one. His stomach was good all day. Or you can take the vitamin right before bed and maybe sleep through the stomach pain?

ekay03

My dog has hands!
Ya that is what I was thinking. Ill just take it right before bed, and if that is no good, Ill try the chewables. Thanks for the advice :)

braveheart

Passionate Dreamer
I am sorry to hear you are having bad times.

In my case I've never had very high levels of CRP but still having symptoms of Crohn.
If you feel you are not feeling better you may want to ask your doctor about other treatments. I think 6-mp is one of the best drugs for CD and it is not in your list.

My CRP was normal, but a colonoscopy showed some inflammation and lots of ulcers. If you haven't had a recent colonoscopy, it could be the Crohn's, but not showing up in the blood tests. I'm glad your doctor is treating you well no matter what the cause.

ekay03

My dog has hands!
Johnnysmom, I took the vitamin right before bed and slept through the night. So that is what I will continue to do. Take the vitamin right before sleep. I hope that works for Johnny as well!

braveheart, I am on 150 mg azo. We tried 6mp before the azo and for some reason I couldn't tollerate the side effects.

LindaS, you are right. I really need a colonoscopy. It has been hard finding a GI in Dallas that will accept my ins. I think I found one. I will be going through Parkland hospital. That is the place that cared for President Kennedy before he died. It is a county hospital so they have to take everybody :)

I find that the gummy vitamins for adults are less irritating to my stomach. I get the gummy multi-vits and I also use the chewable calcium. My doctor suggested using chewable when possible since they are easier to digest. Just a thought, they may help.

I can't tolerate tablets either - wondered about gummies I take liquid vitamins - I'm buying up the last of the Centrum liquid - they've stopped making it - but there are several good liquids. I've also used High Performances Fitness multi and B12.