• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not Again!!!

In Feb my dr. put me on Prednisone and Asacol. A month later he started Imuran and things were fantastic. Their only concern was my blood level was very low and I wasnt losing blood in the intestines or bowel. We decided to take that one day at a time and hope it stays level rather than dropping more. I began tapering off prednisone well over two months ago... going very slow like dr prescribed! Two days before I was suppose to stop I ran out of Imuran. I got it filled but missed those two doses. I continued taking my other meds..(2.5mg prd, and 4800mg asacol) So when I started the Imuran again it was the day to stop prednisone and I did. Big Mistake!!! Not sure what went wrong either missed Imuran or stoped steriods but I have been miserable! I even have started the prednisone again at 2.5mg because I cant see my dr. till end of September..
My question is has anyone experienced this before with the missed doses or the stopping? Im in moderate pain but having trouble eating and lots of bm!

Hi,
It wouldn't be the missed doses of Imuran. That tends to be something that accumulates slowly in your system. You did well to go so slow tapering the Pred, but even so people often flare-up again once it gets down to a low dose. If you have extra Pred and it doesn't bother you too much to take it, maybe up the dose a little for a while.
Hope you manage to settle things - maybe phone the doc in the meantime.
all the best.

I tried to wean off prednsione and i started feeling terrible so i had to go back to the original dosage for another month. Then i weaned agian and the second time the pain wasnt as bad but it started to come back. My doctor had me wean after i had been on entocort for awhile so i wouldn't flare when i came off the prednisone. Now im taking entocort and imuran. I'm suprised you can't see your doctor till the end of september. Thats crazy. I have to go see my doctor every 6weeks.