• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not crohn's but a lot of this speaks to me

Hi! I don't even know where to begin. I'll start at the beginning, 9 1/2 years ago when I had my gallbladder removed due to gal stones. I had just had my first baby and at the ripe old age of 28, nothing has ever been the same. They said there would be no side affects. Since then I have had no control of my bowels especially after eating.

I have painful diarrhea probably 5-10 times a day and sometimes there is just no warning. No pain, no gurgle - and then its all over me. I've had plenty of times at my office job where it's coming out before I reach the restroom.

But for the first 6 years, and two more babies, I dealt with it. I quickly changed my life. No more riding in cars with people, watching what I ate, carrying wipes, extra pants, hiding my issues. But then I had my first public accident while on vacation with my family. I was at a gas station. My husband was inside using the restroom and I was outside with all 3 young children strapped in the car when it hit. I couldn't leave the babies in strapped in the car unintended. I was trying to free the to take them inside and then it hit. All over the place. I ran. It spread. So embarrassing! The worst was the kids. They were horrified and crying.

Since then - 4 more public-ish accidents on vacations and one local but I don't think anyone saw. I take a medicine everyday that helps but makes me be in a constant state of constipation, sticky mess leaking, or worse diarrhea when I let it wear off. I take immodium like it's candy when I have to go anywhere and have basically stopped eating when at restaurants.

It's changing my life. Pyschologically I'm a mess. I have sever panic attacks when not near a restroom. I try to avoid leaving the house. Quite hard with 3 little ones with busy lives. I feel like my husband couldn't possibly find me attractive.

Thankfully I work from home right now but with that coming to an end soon, I am not sure how I will go back into an office with as bad as this has become. SO here I am. They don't have forums for "people who have had their gallbladder out and can't digest food any longer".

I recently went to a gastro, had a colonoscopy to test for crohns and had bloodwork done. All clear. I just will need to live with this and try to get my head right , I guess.

Welcome. I am sorry for what you are going through. It has happened to me also. Can you go for a second opinion? There is a section in here for those who are undiagnosed.

Have you looked into Bile Acid Malabsorption/bile salt malabsorption?

It can occur after gall bladder surgery as well as with other GI issues such as ileal resection, SIBO etc

You may want to discuss it with your GI to see if it's a possibility for you. There are meds for it. Some of them are anti diarrheahals but there are others as well.

Well thank you for the replies! I believe I do have bile acid malabsorbtion. My family doctor has prescribed me Cholestyramine. I take it each day. I use immodium over top of that when I know I'm going out and about or have to eat out.

It works great to keep from having uncontrolled accidents, but it brings a whole other side of uncomfortable! After taking it maybe 2-3 days in a row, everything becomes a sticky paste that is constantly coming out. After 5 days, I'm so constipated and uncomfortable that I usually have to stop taking it and wait for everything to reset. It's a constant issue. So even with the medicine, I'm still having issues other people don't have. I still go at least 5 times a day too. I feel bloated and in pain a lot of the time. I'm pretty small and thin. I don't understand why I go so often!

I wonder if there are other medical options for me?

It sounds crazy because it's been over a year ago now since my last accident but my head is still so messed up. I started having panic attacks when in situations where a restroom wasn't near or I was with other people who might not understand. I mean, debilitating panic attacks. Then I had my last accident and it just did something to me. Like it killed something inside of me for good. I have been depressed and have altered my life so much to avoid situations even though I know in my head the medicine is working. I dread doing things that everyone else can just do, like going to my daughter's kindergarten orientation this year. I don't want to be like this anymore. Even though I have the issues somewhat in control, I can't seem to adjust mentally to it. I don't want to embarrass my children or have them be embarrassed by me.

Sorry this is so long. I never thought I would find a forum full of people who have this issue and understand. I know crohn's brings so much more and I am not belittling that. I have so much respect for all of you who are living with this. People don't understand. I read some things about accidents and everything people were writing - how they forget there are people out there who can just like go out to eat and then go for a walk on the beach....ugh that spoke to me! The pads, extra pants, constant fear, life altering,, and trying to smile through it.....wow, so glad I found this place!