• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not enough calories

Okay, here's the sitch: my best friend is getting married in a few weeks, and I am her maid of honor. I've been in a flair of my crohns and have lost so much weight that my dress just bearly stays up. It will work in a pinch, but...I would like to gain some of my weight back. I downloaded an app to track my calories and I've been at least 500 short each day. :ywow: anyone have any brilliant ideas for an extra easy 500 calories each day. I tried to drink the ensure shakes, but they seem to make things worse. My mom suggested instant breakfasts, and I think they will net me a couple hundred. Also, I already eat peanut butter with my breakfast. What else should I be eating?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Have you tried protein bars as a snack? There are many different kinds. I haven't used any but if you can't handle the Ensure maybe you could handle that?

No harm in bringing the dress in a little either unless you plan on wearing it again.

Carbohydrates make some people put on weight, but they make some people (us) sick and loose weight.
I was eating 5 full meals a day plus snacks and loosing weight.
It wasn't until i gave up most carbs (grain, sugar, potatoes) that i started to gain weigh.

If your intestines are a mess then you can eat as much as you want and not gain weight

All these people telling you to eat more are just making you sicker

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
In addition to what everyone else has already suggested - can you eat avocado? That has a lot of calories and "healthy" fats, so an avocado here and there could help too. Avocado always sits really well in my tummy so that's one of my go-to foods when I need calories (olive oil and almond butter are other good ones).

If all else fails, can you get a tailor or seamstress to take the dress in for you? I sew, and believe me, taking things in is a lot easier than letting things out. You said there's still a few weeks to go, so that might be the best option - it might not be super easy to gain all your weight back in just a few short weeks (for me it's nearly impossible to gain weight when I'm flaring so I can relate!). Good luck and have fun at the wedding!

I would suggest that you supplement your daily diet by drinking some watered down (to lower the osmolality level) Peptamen 1.5 drinks.

During a flare - you could even cut out all food, and just drink these. Each carton is 375 calories x 9 / day = 3,375 calories. So even if you just supplement your diet with a few of these drinks, you could increase your caloric intake significantly. For your 500 calorie shortfall, you could get by with drinking just 2 a day.

You can buy them directly from Nestle, and they will deliver to your door. But, they are rather expensive so check with your insurance carrier. Most of them cover the cost if the drinks are your sole source of nutrition. Just ask your doctor to write a prescription and send it in to a home delivery company like Apria Healthcare.

Hope this helps.

http://www.tchomemedical.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/0E04/product-id/36716977.html

Peptamen 1.5

Peptamen 1.5 complete high calorie elemental nutrition is a ready to use elemental diet for elevated caloric requirements in patients with impaired GI function.

375 calories per 8.45 oz.
18% Protein (from enymatically hydrolyzed whey protein); 49% Carbohydrates; 33% Fat.
Caloric Density: 1.5 cal/mL
Nonprotein Calorie: Nitrogen Ratio: 116:1
MCT:LCT Ratio: 70:30
n6:n3 Ratio: 7.4:1
Osmolality:
Unflavored: 550 mOsm/kg water
Vanilla: 550 m/OSm/kg water
Free Water: 77%
Appropriate for lactose free (not for patients with galactosemia), gluten free, low residue diets.
Peptamen contains ingredients milk protein and is not appropriate for individuals with cow's milk protein allergy.
High caloric density to address nutritional needs in smaller volume.
Available in unflavored and vanilla flavor.
Sold in cases of 24 - 8.45 oz. cartons.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. The wedding was yesterday, and I have to say I was beautiful (not as beautiful as the bride of course) eventhough the derss had to be pinned up and I was having such a bad day that I decided to wear a diaper during the event just in case. Ah Crohn's...
I've been trying a few things to get back on track (mostly protein bars and shakes). Cutting out the ensures has helped a ton. Unfortunately, I think the bottom line is that Humira isn't working for me anymore. I used to get a few really good days after my shot. Now I get nothing. My dr is probably going to change me to Cimzia in addition to the 6mp. Then perhaps I can gain some weight before the holidays when I want to wear the dress again.