• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not liking my options - flare up

I finished tapering my Prednisone on March 30, and my doctor had told me to reach out if my symptoms got much worse during or after that time (I have an appointment to see him May 3). For the last 4 days or so I have had blood in my stool. I also wake up in the morning with very bad joint pain and stiffness. It subsides a bit when I take Tylenol and move around. I am also having more frequent bathroom trips just to pass gas and mucus. I don't really want to go back on Prednisone but I'm not sure what to do.

I sent this message to my doctor and they responded by saying that it's too early to achieve the full effect of the increased dose of Imuran. This takes about 12 weeks. "He states he can offer you another course of prednisone, or a referral to the surgeon, for consultation, if not already done."

I really don't want to go back on Prednisone! I was on it for over 8 months. I also don't want surgery! I don't know what to do.

My aunt who has Crohn's and is a nurse sees a holistic doctor now after she was unable to take most of the Crohn's medications due to heart problems and it's working really well for her. She takes certain supplements and sticks to a specific diet. Maybe I should try this? I'm on my 4th drug and it doesn't seem to be working. Getting discouraged.

I am sorry. The Prednisone or your aunt's way might be better . I can't say for sure. Everyone responds differently to treatments. Wish you the best.