• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not new but thought i had better say my bit!

Hello everyone,

i know i have been on here like two weeks but i thought i had better get round to telling my story.

I was diagnosed in June 2001 (aged 13) after about a year of eating nothing and falling asleep on the bus. My doctor would not accept that there was anything wrong with me and even argued that my weigh (6stone) was normal. Took me passing out while shopping with my mam for anything to be done.

When i found out i had crohns it was a relief in a strange kind of a way. I was relieved that it wasn't all in my head and that something could finally start to be done to sort it out.

I struggled through school on and off high doses of pred. My attendance never really got above 50% and was predicted some terrible grades. I struggled through and manage to prove some terrible teachers wrong.

Looking back on that period of time now, i paid very little interest in what was a wrong with me and kind of just relied on the pred to get me through everything.

I managed to get through college and got a place at Newcastle University to do my undergraduate studies. Crohns did not seem to bother me at Uni but looking back i think this was a lot to do with how flexible the course was. If i was bad i stayed in bed or worked from home.

It wasn't till i got a job in a bank that my Crohns started playing up. I was in a job that stretched you physically in that i was working 10+ hours a day. But it was also mentally taxing in that i was in effect working for the devil and i did not like how that job made me feel. Within twelve month of taking that job i was doing very well (too well for my conscience) but i was starting to suffer with my health. Within weeks of getting a promotion i had been told i needed surgery for a narrowing and decided that things had to change.

I told a shocked boss that i was leaving and decided i needed to wake up to my illness. I had surgery in the May and started to train to be a teacher in the July. I have struggled with flares but have managed to finish my training and secure a job at my old school (will be funny seeing the teachers who wrote me off).

At present im struggling with a mini flare and am staring to try and take charge of my crohns. Im not leaving anything to chance and im trying to be organised in my approach.

Getting there!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Now that wasn't so hard was it Lamp? Teach the old teachers how to teach in the new world.:) You sound as if you are on the right track for yourself. Good luck!!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Good for you Lamp! Go get em!.....glad to see you are taking like life by the horns and not letting this (literal) pain in the ass get the best of you!

Positive attitude is half the battle I think. It has taken me over 10 years to take a grip on my Crohns as used to just ignore it. Good on you !!!
Jo

Do you really love the lamp, or are you just saying it because you saw it? :)

Nice to hear your story, and glad to hear that you are taking charge.