• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not quite diagnosed

I had no symptoms until a couple of months ago. When it was obvious that my symptoms were not going away, I went to a GI doc. They did the blood and stool tests as well as a colonoscopy. My entire colon was involved and they found 3 pre cancers! My last colonoscopy was so good they gave me a 10 year repeat and it had not been that long when these symptoms started. Anyway, the diagnosis was UC. I was devastated but at least it was not crohn's so I felt somewhat relieved. However, my GI did genetic testing and more tests an then told me it was most likely crohn's NOT UC. I am really devastated with the new diagnosis. I already have many autoimmune diseases and was already taking Humira ad Methotrexate. Now I am taking Lialda which has helped symptoms. Due to my arthritis, in the last two years I had two hips replaced with a revision, as well as a knee replaced. I am 60 years old and cannot help but feel that this is the beginning of the end. I have a great supportive doc, but I don't see any need to have more testing and spend more money. It won't change anything because I assume that I will die from this disease anyway. Yes, I am depressed and just started antidepressants, but they too will not change what is happening. I am tired of feeling hopeless and useless. I assume that these feelings are not uncommon for those newly diagnosed so I thought I might find some help here.

Hello ginger girl. I am sorry you are feeling so down. It is very common to feel at worst when newly diagnosed. You will find a lot of support from people who are going thru the same. You can ask questions or vent away if you need. Hang in there. Sending a big hug and support your way.

Hi there, so sorry you have all these problems in addition to what you already are treated for. I assure you, feeling depressed is a very normal reaction to all this, but it is important to do something about the depression. First, neither U.c nor Crohn's reduces your expected lifetime which is many more decades :) I am sure. Actually there are studies that suggest due to having a close medical supervision and caring about one's diet etc., Crohn's patients live on average longer than the general population.

Antidepressants are one thing but talking friends and family is also very important. And there I am not talking about venting, this forum is defintely for venting and asking questions ;), but just generally talking about anything really. I have had long stretches of being depressed since I was diagnosed, usually when there are quite some symptoms, but it was always friends and family who got me to have a positive attitude again, or a great inspirational book or sport or just taking a long walk in nature or a hot long bath etc. I am not sure what works for you, but I just want to say again Crohn's is manageable (I actually have to say I am not sure why you think it is so much worse than UC? Both are in essence things were your immune system acts up and gets your bowels inflammed...) you already take potent drugs that work to help Crohn's under control and the only other thing is to work out the foods you can eat well and those you can't (there are many threads on here on diet and food) and stress relief (e.g. Yoga or marijuana etc.).

All the best to you and trust me, this is all manageable once you get the hang of it. It's not a pretty disease, but it's definitely manageable for many people.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello there

I'm so sorry to hear of everything you are going through. It's perfectly natural to be upset by this diagnosis, it can be quite a shock to the system, especially if you only have symptoms for a short time before diagnosis.

Please don't give up though. This isn't a death sentence. There is a lot they can do for crohns now, although deaths do still happen, they are usually through a complication such as a perforated bowel. Compared to the number of people who are diagnosed with crohns each year, the death rate is very low. There is a wide range of treatments available and although it does take trial and error, it is more than possible to get this under control and there is no reason to assume at this point that it will lower your life expectancy.

I know that might all seem easy for me to say as a young person, but I can really relate to you, my life has totally changed because of crohns and my education suffered badly, I had to leave university and haven't been able to progress for a long time due to other complications and a recent flare up and for a while I felt useless too, but I will get it back on track and get to where I want to be, it's just going to take me a little longer than I planned.

It's important to remember that you are not useless. This is not your fault. You didn't ask to get sick, crohns doesn't care who it picks on.

Let yourself get used to the idea of having this illness. It's a bit like a grieving process, you grieve for the changes crohns makes to your life. Let yourself get through that stage. There's no reason that extra testing can't be revisited at a later date.

I know it's hard and it seems like there is a huge road ahead of you, but you can still have a good 20+ years ahead of you and you can feel well again.

Hey Ginger Girl,
Sorry you are going through this but rest assured you don't have an expiration date stamped on the bottom of your feet so don't give up.

Keep pressing on knowing what you have and being able to adjust your lifestyle will help you keep on keeping on!

At 60 years young, you have seen a lot and I know your wisdom will be much appreciated around this site!

Stay strong and press through this.

Sending hugs your way!!!!