• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not Sure About Diagnosis

Was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2002. Very rarely do I ever have loose stools. My issue is constipation. Does anyone who definitely thinks they have Crohn's suffer from constipation?? My doc told me after my colonoscopy this week that I need to give up on the Entocort EC and start a biologic before I lose a part of my bowel. I do have inflammation levels that continue to be very high, but I'm just not certain that I have Crohn's. Humira scares the ever-livin out of me!!

Hi and welcome.
My girl has colitis and sides on the side of constipation.
Do they know where your inflamed? That might explain the constipation.
If the bowel has narrowing it can cause blockage.

Be honest with your Doctor. Tel him to explain why they thinks you have IBD.

I do know from others here that inflammation that runs amuck might lead to disastrous results.

How was your disease diagnosed? If biopsies were taken during the colonoscopy (or an upper endoscopy) and this is what the doctor based your diagnosis on, then it's highly improbable that the diagnosis is wrong.

Constipation can happen with Crohn's. It's rare, but it can happen.

I can tell you the biggest issue I have is blockages and constipation, in fact much more than diarrhea and urgent needs to go in recent months.

It's definitely not unheard of, but worth discussing with your GI if you have doubts. Don't be afraid or hesitant to ask questions! The doctors and nurses usually want to help and in my experience will try to answer as best they can. Sometimes they just don't have an answer!

One thing I've come to realize is that Crohn's is a very individual disease. It seems it doesn't affect any two people exactly alike.

Did they take biopsies during your colonoscopy? That should have been able to pin point if you have crohns. I know most doctors will not even consider crohns unless you have the hallmark diarrhea( which is obviously wrong since you can have it and not have the diarrhea according to a lot of people who have crohns and do not have the diarrhea.)

I am not diagnosed but have been having severe pains for 2 years now. I know what you mean about the Humira and those biologic meds. I myself would be sacred to take them too as they to have bad side effects. The question is, what all have you tried? Maybe you can ask your GI doc if there are any other options or meds that you can try first before going that route? Have you tried any of the diets yet( SCD diet, Paleo diet)?

If you are unsure never hesitate to ask your doctor and even go as far as getting a second opinion if need be. One thing I have learned with being chronically ill for the last 10 years is that you cannot trust doctors are always correct. For me, I have had more doctors be incorrect when it comes to my health unfortunately. If you are not comfortable, seek out a second opinion at least to ease you mind and help you make the decision on what to do.

Hope you get some answers and feel better soon....