• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not sure what i have.

Good afternoon,

Now I'm new, and to be perfectly honest im not sure what GI dissorder i have. I have mucus in my stool, gas, pains, cramps, no blood that i can see, small red dots that look like popped blood vessels on arms, I've had a couple of them for years, but now i have more. pin head small they dont itch or bleed. Ive had my symptoms for over a year, I"ve had ultra sounds, blood tests that came out fine, 2 months ago i had a CT Scan that came out clear as day GI doc said its all clear. They diagnosed me with IBS. Now, My question is, Ive had my symptoms for over a year, In that time frame would my ct scan have shown something as far as swelling or blockage or wall thickening? I have an appiontment next week, and im just going to ask for a colonoscopy. Not knowing is the worst. No vomiting, or loss of appitite, as far as weight loss goes, im pretty thin to begin with. Not sure what a dangerous amount to loose is. Just wondering if anything im going through rings a bell to anyone.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello and welcome to the forum

I'm sorry to hear you've been suffering but I'm glad to that you've found us. I'm not sure if IBS can cause mucus but it can cause your other symptoms so there is a chance that this is what you have. However , that doesn't mean that you don't have cause to ask for further testing if you don't feel comfortable with the diagnosis, we know our own bodies best and using our instinct is important.

The red dots on your arms sound like blood spots, I've had a few of these myself and doctors have never found them to be cause for concern or symbolic of anything really being amiss.

A year is long enough for some inflammation to show, but this would depend on how severe the disease is, mild crohns or uc would probably develop slowly and there might only be microscopic inflammation. Generally MRI scans are thought to be better for diagnosing ibd and are far less invasive than colonoscopies so you might want to ask about that before you have a colonoscopy.

As for weight, any unintentional weight loss that is noticeable when you look at yourself or that makes your clothing seem looser can be counted as a symptom. If you have lost a stone or more you should make sure it is looked into as this is dangerous.

Thanks for the reply! As for Mucus, my GI told me that its the most common sign of IBS. I think that, and the fact that after a year my CT scan showed nothing was the cause for my diagnoses. Does Crohns get worse over time? If mild Crohns is what i have would it remain mild or get progressivley worse? My symptoms where worse at the begining and have become more managable. I have a BM 2 to 3 times a day, I never have had the really bad liquid D. SOrry but my worse symptom is gas really lol. About an hour after i eat of have to go lol. Never painful. Its the not knowing thats the worse, its really a pain. So thats why im going to ask for a colonoscopy and get it over with, find out ounce and for all. So fustraiting :ybatty:

valleysangel92

Staff member
Yeah that is what tends to happen, when they are satisfied there is nothing sinister going on they diagnose ibs until something proves them wrong.

Crohns is very unpredictable, you could have years with mild symptoms and then suddenly get very sick and need surgery in the space of a few weeks.. There is no certainty that it will get worse, but there is no certainty that it won't either. The main thing is to get a diagnosis and get it under control. Crohns (and ibs) can get worse during times of stress, if you get a virus/infection or if you eat certain food and in that way it is difficult to differentiate between the two.

The reason I suggested an mri is that a colonoscopy can only see so far.. It can usually only get to the first part of the TI at the most (the start of the small intestine) . Crohns can affect anywhere in the digestive tract and therefore colonoscopy alone may not be enough to find any inflammation that is present.

Hmm.. So perhaps ill ask for an MRI first. lol, for my CT Scan the technitian said "Wow, we got some really clear picutres." I didnt think anything of it, but your mind wonders, i strated thinking "Pictures of what?" it turns out the Scan was one of the clearest theyve ever seen. No swelling or lumps or anything it was the detail/clarity he was talking about. Anxiety is a bad bed fellow for GI dissorders. Is an MRI better than a CT Scan? my GI told me that in the past CT Scans have been so clear that they have picked up small bumps or strange images that after a colonoscopy turned out to be food or ruffage. I'm definatly going to ask about the MRI. Thanks again, I had a close ffiend who had Crohns, both his parents passed away from Colon Cancer, he took his own life a few years ago. i believe depression and Crohns played a part in it what happened. regardless if i have IBS Crohns or what ever it is im going to hit it head on.

valleysangel92

Staff member
CT and MRI scans both have their own individual merits. CT scans are generally quicker, they are less claustrophobic and can give good clear images. But, they use xray radiation, which should not be over used and so are not the scan of choice for those who need repeated scans. The MRI scanners work with magnets and are considered safer for prolonged or repeated exposure. MRI scans can also be better for viewing soft tissue and organs such as the bowel.

Depression is a common feature in those with IBD and does make a huge difference. Good on you for hanging a positive attitude .