• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not sure whether to start steroids again

Diagnosed in 1979 when 18. Operation to remove part of ileum and colon in 2000. Been clear of Crohns since then. New consultant who diagnosed bile malabsorbtion 6 months ago. Since October diarrhoea 6 - 12 times a day and for the last month bad cramps. Consultant says I need to take prednisolone starting at 40mg. I hate those drugs those and my bones are now not good because of medication when I was young. Been trying predfoam enemas for the past week but not feeling any better. Still cramps and diarrhoea. Has anyone got their Crohns under control just using predfoam retention enemas, or is it best to just get on with it and take the prednisolone?

Just want to hear what others have done. And feeling very fed up.

my little penguin

Staff member
For kids they now use een (exclusive enteral nutrition)
Formula only no food for 6-8 weeks
Which has been found to be as effective as steroids just no side effects

Ds drank 8 peptamen jr a day
Some use modulen in the U.K.
Others use eo28 splash
Ds has used neocate jr (which can be found in the U.K. As well)
Might be worth asking about
Tagging cat-a-tonic
Little miss
And happy

Some have luck with polymeric formula
Boost or ensure
But most need semi elemental or elemental formula

There is also the Crohns exclusive diet which uses formula and food for refractory Crohns
Only a small study so ...
Thread on that here

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=71686

Again might be something to ask about with your doctors

Tagging maya142

Maya142

Staff member
Are you on any other medications? Like a maintenance med, like 6MP or Imuran or something?

Steroids aren't really meant to be used for the long-term, for lots of reasons (including bone density).

We've never used predfoam enemas...My daughter used hydrocortisone enemas but only briefly (because she was a stubborn teenager!). She was also on Remicade and Methotrexate at the time and luckily, they kicked in and so stopping the enemas wasn't a big deal.

Thank you for your help. Will see if I can get into remission with predfoam and ensures since steroids in my experience can just lead to azathioprine and then issues with my blood. will let you know how I get on.

Last edited: